Finite Element Analysis with MATLAB and ANSYS
What you'll learn
- Key Formulations in FEA: Truss elements (1D, 2D, 3D), 2D plate (plane strain, plane stress) and 3D Solid elements.
- Practical coding skills in MATLAB for FEA of 1D, 2D, and 3D structures
- Practical skills in ANSYS for FEA of 1D, 2D, and 3D structures
- Advanced skills in writing APDL scripts for Finite Element Analyses
- Advanced plot techniques in MATLAB to make comprehensive comparisons between ANSYS and your FEM code results
- Source codes (MATLAB + ANSYS) for all FEA examples are available for freely download and modify for future study
- Interested in Structural Analysis and Finite Element Analysis
In each example, first, key formulations are provided to summary the theories. Next, you will be clearly instructed to write your FEM codes, ANSYS scripts. Every line of code will be clearly explained. After that, detailed instructions to extract results (displacements, stress, strain) from ANSYS and your FEM codes are provided. From there, you will learn how to make comprehensive comparisons between your FEM results and ANSYS to verify your codes and your understanding. This will be the best way to prove your understanding and knowledge.
Also, by practicing the examples, you can achieve very good or advanced coding skills in MATLAB and scripting in ANSYS.
Specifically, you will learn following main skills in this course:
Fundamental theories in Finite Element Analysis (FEA);
How to write FEM codes for various interesting problems of 1D, 2D, and 3D structures;
How to write advanced ANSYS scripts for various interesting problems of 1D, 2D, and 3D structures;
How to extract results from ANSYS and your FEM codes to make a comprehensive comparison.
Advanced MATLAB coding skills for FEA and plotting high-quality figures.
Who this course is for:
- Engineering students or engineers who are:
- Curious about structural analysis and FEA
- Want to know the real physics behind FEA software to achieve an advanced level in FEA from scratch
- Want to achieve an advanced level in using ANSYS from scratch
- Preparing knowledge in FEA for job interviews, Master or PhD degrees
I am currently a Digital Twin (DT) Technologist - Specialist. My main work is related to ship and offshore hydrodynamics and structural analysis, fatigue, corrosion, buckling analyses, using various software as well as developing Python codes. I have more than 7.5 years experience in structural analysis and finite element analysis.
I received Ph.D. in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at the Department of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering (NAOME), University of Strathclyde. My research interests focus on Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI), Fracture Mechanics, Peridynamics, Fatigue, Corrosion, Machine Learning and Data Analysis.