Figure Drawing From Life Using The Reilly Technique.
- No previous knowledge or experience needed.
- This method starts with a gesture/stick-figure approach which anyone can do from childhood.
- Materials needed are inexpensive and require charcoal or carbon pencils (Wolff) and toned charcoal or pastel paper in addition to newsprint for practice.
This Frank Reilly method drawing course in fifteen lectures covers the details of the "Reilly" drawing technique and demonstrations using it. This technique allows for complete figure drawings from life in less than 45 minutes. Starting with the lines of action and large abstract shapes, the course proceeds through small shapes, negative space, value, perspective, foreshortening, edge, line, details (face, hands and feet), and drapery on the figure. The final two lectures summarize the entire technique and give two examples using it to draw complete figures in under five minutes by Reilly Method Drawing. There are also five complete demonstrations using this technique done in 4- 7 minutes of figures drawn from life in a variety of positions. The driving principal behind this course is that the "whole is more important than the parts" which is the reason that I start with a gesture drawing and build on its structure until completion with anatomy and details. Also, I cover how to apply drapery to the figure using the same principles.
- Anyone interested in learning to draw using a visual method.
- Anyone interested in learning a method that many artists use in drawing a wide variety of subject matter.
- Figure Drawing Class Introduction04:05
- Figure Drawing Class Disclaimers02:19
- Figure Drawing Class #1:Large and Small Action Lines05:57
- Figure Drawing Class #2: Action and Large Shapes02:20
- Figure Drawing Class #3: Action and Large Shapes04:19
- Figure Drawing Class #4: Negative Space and Small Shapes05:05
- Figure Drawing Class #5: Value (Light and Dark)13:17
- Figure Drawing Class #6: Perspective and Foreshortening10:45
- Figure Drawing Class #7: Depth with Shape, Edge, and Value09:51
- Figure Drawing Class #8: Edge and Line Weight11:35
- Figure Drawing Class #9: Details (Hands and Feet)08:12
- Figure Drawing Class #10: Details (Hands and Feet)05:07
- Figure Drawing Class #11: Drapery07:07
- Figure Drawing Class #12: Details (Face)16:49
- Figure Drawing Class #13: Details (Face-Foreshortening)04:06
- Figure Drawing Class #14: Summary and Demo (Back)08:45
- Figure Drawing class #15: Summary and Demo (Side)05:45
- Demonstration #1: Front Female Nude (Seated)05:38
- Demonstration #2: Back Female Nude (Seated)04:22
- Demonstration #3: Side Female Nude (Seated)05:21
- Demonstration #4: Front Female Nude (Reclining)07:31
- Demonstration #5: Side Female Nude (Standing)05:37
Donelli J. DiMaria is a professional artist and teacher living in Santa Fe, NM. He has shown his paintings and drawings through out the US for the past twenty years in numerous galleries and juried/invited arts shows. Over the past four years, he has been in 14 group museum shows and has his work published in the "Artist's Magazine", "American Art Collector", and in "The Best of Portrait Painting" (North Light Books). He has been actively teaching the "Reilly" drawing and painting techniques for the past six years.