Fearless College Application Essay Writing
What you'll learn
- Decrease anxiety while increasing creativity
- Craft college essays based on current Common App topics
- Craft college essays based on current, competitive universities' topics
- Compare stages of writing to sample essays
- Shape your story and your voice to effectively resonate with admissions officers
- Develop transferable skills to apply to scholarship essays and interviews
- Spend your desired amount of time on ech step and return to steps as often as you like
- Develop drafts in an enjoyable, sample-filled experience and conclude with an essay you're proud of!
- Google Docs, Word Docs, or pen and paper
- Compile various college essay prompts for schools you may apply to
- An open mind!
Our time together will be spent writing your college application essay(s) based on the 7 Common App Essay Prompts along with some other commonly used prompts from competitive universities. I will guide you through fearless steps of brainstorming, winnowing, creating drafts, and finally editing and revising. Along the way I have embedded various example essays, multiple cited sources to use for college essays and beyond, and most importantly, videos talking you through the questions and stages of crafting your meaningful essay!
Who this course is for:
- High school sophomores, juniors, and seniors along with their parents/guardians
- Fellow high school teachers or counselors who also help students write college essays
From being a writing tutor during my college years, teaching Rhetoric and Composition as a TA during my graduate studies, proofreading and editing for our high school’s newspaper (as the advisor) for the entire 16 years I’ve been teaching, and serving as our high school’s AP Literature teacher, I decided about 10 years ago to pull my expertise together and fulfill a need: to help high school students write their college application essays. The stories that young people carry with them are powerful, and I work each year to help students find their best words and organization.
I’ve had the pleasure of partnering with The Lenfest Foundation who brought several ivy-league admissions counselors to our high school, to best teach high school teachers how to guide student essays, and guide our own letters of recommendation.
I have also used each summer to take Common App Webinars, to then better guide students in their writing and application process; I have attended a grammar conference at UVA to best guide students in what colleges are looking for and how the politics of writing change; and I run SAT tutoring sessions which force me to stay current with the best writing practices.
Over the past 10 years I have received countless emails from students thanking me for the writing work we did together, because their acceptances to various colleges (as you’ll see in our Intro) were overwhelming. So now I look forward to helping you make your writing powerful and inviting, by making the writing process accessible and fearless!