What you'll learn
- Students will learn about many of the new exciting features of the HTML5 APIs such as the Canvas for graphics, asynchronous and high performance coding.
- Students will learn the basics of Computer Graphics including rasterization, how to draw objects, bitmapped graphics, and how to create a "Sprite" engine.
- Students will learn how to use numerous tools such as graphics and sound editors to manipulate content for their games.
- Students will learn how to get user input from the keyboard and mouse to control their game characters.
- Students will learn how to use LLMs (Large Language Models) and Generative AI like ChatGPT to help them write fully functioning games.
- Students will learn Game Development by developing over half a dozen classic video games with the help of AI and ChatGPT.
- And finally, students will be able to put all these things together and create amazing games of their own.
- A modern Windows, MacOS, or Linux PC (or VM) capable of running browser based games and running tools like Krita Paint and the Audacity Sound Editor.
- A Junior / High School or equivalent understanding of mathematics. Basically, addition, subtraction, a little algebra and vectors from time to time.
- No programming experience is necessary, but it doesn't hurt if you know another programming language such as C/C++, C#, Python, BASIC, or even Java.
In the first part of the course, we start with how the internet and HTML work with respect to browsers. Then we start off with a "Hello World" in HTML and build our first web page. From there, lecture after lecture, we dig deeper and deeper into the most important features of HTML5 + CSS, so you can create basic websites with formatting, styling, controls and more. So, if you have never made a website in your life, you will learn step by step in this part of the course. Even if you are a seasoned programmer that has never got around to learning HTML5 + CSS you will enjoy this section.
Breakout / Arkanoid
3D Wire Frame Space Shooter
RetroRift (ChatGPT original)
Finally, the course also comes with free electronic PDF copies of some of my most classic game development books that have taught millions of students and professionals game development over the years:
"Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus"
"The Black Art of 3D Game Programming"
"Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus"
Who this course is for:
- Anyone that is interested in learning how to use Generative AIs and ChatGPT to help write complex programs such as video games.
I hold degrees in Mathematics, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering from San Jose State University. I am a Computer Scientist, Electrical and Embedded Engineer that specializes in Hardware Design, Game Development, AI, and Robotics. I have written many books, articles and papers on the aforementioned subjects and taught Computer Science and Electrical Engineering courses at UC Santa Cruz as well as online for many years.
I am currently the CEO of Nurve Networks LLC, a full stack embedded development company in Austin, Texas, USA. Before that I was CEO of Xtreme Games LLC, a PC game development company in Silicon Valley.