Making Family HiStory Maps using ArcGIS Online
What you'll learn
- Make their own Family HiStory Map and share it as a link
- You should be comfortable using the web browser of your choice (Google Chrome is recommended)
- Previous experience with making web maps using ArcGIS Online will be an advantage
- Previous experience with storing images online with Flickr will be an advantage
- You will need only FREE accounts to access ArcGIS Online and Flickr
Family HiStory Maps enable you tell a story about one or a group of ancestors in an engaging way that shows you where they lived and travelled against the background of a map.
They are ideal for sharing with relatives via a web link that lets them follow the story you have researched, at their own pace, when they become interested to do so, or for you to use to remind yourself of the story details as you sit with them and chat about that story concerning your shared ancestor(s).
There is no software or website cost to either make or view these Family HiStory Maps due to the FREE accounts generously provided by Esri (ArcGIS Online) and Yahoo! (Flickr). The purchase price of this eLearning video course is the only cost to enable you to start making your first Family HiStory Map today!
Prior to (or while) taking this course it is recommended that you view one or more of these Family HiStory Maps which have been made using the same techniques taught during the course. They can be found by searching on their titles at ArcGIS Online.
- William & James Slight - Map Engravers & Test Cricketer
- The Billins knew Captain Charles Sturt
The course will:
- Introduce you to Family HiStory Maps, Story Maps, ArcGIS Online and Flickr
- Provide a demonstration of using a Family HiStory Map
- Show you how to:
- make a new Family HiStory Map
- configure a Home Section (“front page”) and four other sections – your stories can have as many sections as you like!
- change the background map used in each part of the story to basemaps such as those from the National Geographic
- create map notes for locations of importance in the life of your ancestor(s)
- link text in your story to images and maps – you can also link to videos and web pages!
- rearrange the sections of your story
- configure popups to show images and link to web pages
- change the appearance and other settings for your Family HiStory Map
keep your Family HiStory Map private or share it with any relative that can use the internet!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for those passionate about their family's history and looking for a way to present it to others
Graeme provides training, consulting and support in: ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcPy/Python, ModelBuilder/Geoprocessing, ArcGIS Online, Story Maps and Family HiStory Mapping.
He has been using Esri software intensively for over 25 years (18 of those with Esri International Distributors in the United Kingdom and Australia), and always installs the latest versions of the ArcGIS platform as soon as they are released (and often sooner!).