Learn Photographic Exposure Best Practices
- There are no prerequisites for this course. This course is all about the basic camera settings and principles you should know as you start taking photos.
- No matter what type of camera you have - you will benefit from the universal rules presented in the course
Exposure is one of the most fundamental ways you can use light to influence the impact and emotionality of your photos. In this hands-on course, you’ll gain a clear understanding of exposure's three variables: ISO, shutter speed and aperture. You’ll learn how to use the Exposure Triangle to fix a correct exposure and the Histogram tool to analyse your camera's meter readings during photoshoots and in post production. You’ll also explore several examples of Histograms for photos shot in different lighting conditions and learn how to intuitively analyse its data to improve your exposures. By the end of the course, you’ll have developed a solid foundation in understanding exposure’s principles to aid you on your artistic journey.
Sharpen Your Skills
Perfect Your Exposures With The Histogram Tool
Through in-depth explanations and engaging photo examples you’ll learn how to easily leverage the Histogram Tool’s accurate and detailed feedback to assess your exposure’s quality. It will also help you learn to easily differentiate between a “low-key” and an underexposed image, for purposeful, nuanced work.
Express Your Artistic Vision With Creative Exposure
The medium of photography uses a visual language. Every image you make communicates something - its colors, shapes and composition - every single element is interpreted by the viewer. Playing with light exposure helps bring your artistic ideas and signature style to life.
- Anyone who wants to learn how to improve their images by mastering photographic exposure
- Any beginners who need clarification on ISO, aperture & shutter speed settingsAny beginners who want to
- Anyone who wants to learn how to efficiently use the Histogram Tool
- Quick Introduction03:41
- Human Eye vs DSLR - How Do They See The World03:30
- Your New Best Friend: Histogram07:13
- Histogram Analysis - Underexposed Image01:56
- Histogram Analysis - Low Key Image02:13
- Histogram Analysis - Overexposed Image02:03
- Histogram Analysis - High Key Image04:28
- Histogram Analysis - Low Contrast Image02:46
- Histogram Analysis - Low Contrast Image - Corrected 8 bit vs 16 bit05:50
- The Exposure Triangle02:09
- The Exposure Triangle: ISO05:29
- The Exposure Triangle - Shutter Speed05:38
- The Exposure Triangle - Aperture07:14
- Bonus Lecture00:01
Like you, I’m an artist. I’m passionate about creating personal, meaningful and captivating artwork. I love the freedom of the medium, as it allows - and perhaps encourages - unexpected moments that are both surprising and delightful.
Your vision is unique, and my goal is to assist you on your path to realize your artistic dreams. It’s my mission to support and nourish your talent with the tools necessary to take your photography to the next level. Sharing my experience and helping you develop your visual language helps me evolve as a teacher and enriches me as a human being.
I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to interact with people all over the world who share the same passion as me. It’s honestly my greatest thrill and source of fulfillment to foster the growth and development of the DAC community of photographers.
A born-and-raised Polish girl with a passion for artistic self-expression and adventure, I trained at the Eugeniusz Geppert Academy of Art and Design in Wroclaw, Poland and graduated with a Master of Fine Arts in 2003. Photography has been my medium of choice for 20 years, starting in darkrooms and now, in the digital space. I am a featured photography skills teacher on several prominent online educational platforms and am thrilled that over 70,000 students from 183 countries around the world have joined my courses and developed their photography skills with me. It’s a great honor and delight to be engaged in this work — and it’s the best way I know of to make friends on all seven continents! As you can probably tell, I’m an obsessive learner who spends time watching, reading, photographing, editing, creating and selling educational courses.
Thank you for taking the time to visit. I’m happy we’re connected and I’m excited for the journey ahead.