Learn Excel Formulas & Functions in Only 90 Minutes
What you'll learn
- Write basic formulas for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Learn new functions introduced in winter 2016.
- Write formulas that combine and split text.
- Understand how to use any function.
- Use statistics formulas, like AVERAGE, VARIANCE and STANDARD DEVIATION.
- Calculate subtotals.
- Write functions that make decisions, like IF and SUMIF.
- Create LOOKUP tables
- Use exponents, square roots and logarithms.
- Use financial functions to calculate payments and rate of return.
- Control the display of error messages.
- Before starting this course, you should know the basics of Excel, including how to open, save and close files, how to enter text and numbers on a worksheet, and how to edit cells. The course begins with a brief refresher on how to enter basic formulas.
To be a more proficient Excel user and add value to your job or career, you should know how to use Excel's math and data management capabilities. That means writing formulas and using functions. It doesn’t have to be complicated or scary, and with this course’s friendly, understandable and approachable style, you can quickly become an Excel expert. In 4 chapters, we will learn 30 built-in functions useful in different fields, industries, careers and tasks, and will learn efficient, time-saving techniques. You get 90 minutes of videos with new and completed class files and a reference guide.
The material in this course covers all versions of Excel from 2016 through 365. And all the functions work on the Mac as well as Windows.
We start with writing simple formulas and functions, then progress to Excel's most commonly used functions, like adding, taking averages and finding the highest and lowest numbers in a range. Next, we learn how to use functions that make decisions, where the result can be two or more possibilities. Some of these functions are mashups of other functions you already know.
Do you need to work with statistics? You'll find several functions in the next chapter are just for you. Math or finance? We have a few of those, too. And who knew Excel worked great for manipulating text? We cover a few functions that will make your life easier.
In the next chapter, we cover sorting and filtering tables of data and how to write and edit macros so you can write custom programs in Excel.
And we have a bonus chapter with new functions introduced in the 2019 and 365 editions of Excel. You're really going to like these.
Who this course is for:
- This is a level 2 course, so take it if you’ve already completed an introductory course or have experience using basic Excel tasks.
Bob Flisser has been a trainer and technical writer since the 1980s. He currently has over a dozen video courses released by several commercial publishers, and was the co-author of a series of books of tips and shortcuts for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Windows. He has also written magazine articles and training manuals, and created training centers for companies large and small.
Since 1995, Bob has been the vice president and the web and multimedia developer at Software School, Inc., a software training and graphic design company in New Jersey. He is also a board member of the Mediatech Foundation, which provides free technology access to his community.
Bob is a graduate of The George Washington University with a degree in financial economics and international business.