EU Privacy Laws & AWS: Build Compliant Data Architectures
- This course does not presume that students have prior knoweldge of the EU Privacy Laws (GDPR).
- This course does not presume that students have prior knowledge of AWS or its tools that can be used to achieve GDPR compliance.
- Basic familiarity with IT-related concepts (databases, virtual machines, the cloud) would be helpful. We will be reviewing AWS and the cloud for students who need a refresher or are not familiar with them.
- You will need a computer or mobile device in order to watch lectures.
Under the new set of EU Privacy Laws (GDPR) companies can be penalized up to 4% of total global revenue or €20 million, whichever is greater, if you are not in compliance. These are extremely significant penalties for any business, so data practitioners, managers, PMs, compliance officers, and execs will want to be informed about the steps you can take to be compliant with the GDPR. This course will cover the AWS (Amazon Web Services) tools that you can use in order to build out compliant architectures in the AWS cloud. It will also give you an overview of the GDPR, going in depth into the most relevant parts of the GDPR for most businesses today.
Data Protection by Design and by Default
Right to erasure (“right to be forgotten”)
Processing Data Securely with robust security systems
Moving Data Into and Out of the EU
Limitations on profiling (automated decision-making with Machine Learning)
Auditing and Monitoring in order to report security breaches
This course will not focus on the paperwork aspect of compliance with the GDPR, instead, its focus is on the technical solutions that you can leverage to achieve compliance. Your individual situation may vary, and leveraging these tools may not be sufficient in order to be compliant -- in certain cases, we detail cases where custom solutions may be necessary. However, this course will give you a general overview of the services and features that AWS provides to help you achieve compliance.
Who this course is for:
- Individuals who work with data or work at an organization that has data, particularly if some end users are in Europe.
- 02:58What You Will Learn and Prerequisites
I am a Big Data and AWS Solutions Architect Consultant. In short, I solve Big Data-related problems. I've worked for Twitter, the Inter-American Development Bank, and a number of startups in the data space in the past. I am an AWS Certified Solutions Architect, and am ranked within the top 1% on Kaggle. I have a B.S. from MIT, and am passionate about helping teams architect resilient, scalable data architectures.
I am passionate about helping others learn how to leverage Big Data tools, particularly within the AWS space.