Ethics for the Insurance Professional
What you'll learn
- The student will learn about the various philosophical concepts of ethical behavior.
- The student will be able to:
- Explore the various ethical concepts that have developed over the last two or three eons and how they can apply to insurance.
- Explore the ethical concepts that best apply to insurance.
- Identify the meaning of Uberrimae Fidei.
- Identify how the insurance industry applies the concept of Uberrimae Fidei to the business of insurance and its relationships with insureds, insurance agents and brokers.
- How an insurance professional can avoid conflicts of interest.
- Identify how to avoid inducements.
- No Advanced Preparation or Prerequisites are needed for this course.
This course explains the concepts of ethical behavior and how ethical behavior is an essential element of insurance acquisition, underwriting, and claims handling. The course discusses what ethics is and how various philosophers have developed ethical behavior for everyone in a society. The ethical standards, as they apply to insurers and those insured by application of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, work to allow insurers to apply ethical standards to its operation.
The course covers the following:
- What is ethics?
- Kant and the categorical imperative.
- Hegel and ethics and that the ethical life is a concept of freedom.
- Virtue ethics.
- The Golden Rule.
- Applied ethics.
- Uberrimae Fidei.
- Understanding the concept of Uberrimae Fidei.
- How an insurer insists on insurer-wide ethical behavior.
- How an insurer acts ethically.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone in
Illumeo, incorporated in 2009, is revolutionizing the hide-bound world of corporate learning. Illumeo works with corporate professionals and organizations of all sizes to build the skills and capabilities that help everyone be an expert at their job.
Based in Silicon Valley, CA, Illumeo serves thousands of corporations and corporate professionals across Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Sales and Marketing. The platform offers assessments, industry-benchmarked competency analyses, hundreds of expert-developed courses, collaborative tools, and the ability for companies to self-publish internal courses that promote institutional knowledge retention and dissemination.
Illumeo is the place for expertise management and we are dedicated to the proposition that everyone can be an expert at their job.
Barry Zalma, Esq., CFE, has practiced law in California for more than 42 years as an insurance coverage and claims handling lawyer. He now limits his practice to service as an insurance consultant and expert witness specializing in insurance coverage, insurance claims handling, insurance bad faith and insurance fraud almost equally for insurers and policyholders. He also serves as an arbitrator or mediator for insurance related dispute
He founded Zalma Insurance Consultants in 2001 and serves as its only consultant.
Consultant/Expert Witness : Zalma Insurance Consultants - [2009-07 to Current]
Consult with policy holders and insurers about claims handling and bad faith issues.
Attorney : Barry Zalma, Inc. - [1979-10 to Current]
Represent clients involved in litigation dealing with insurance, insurance coverage and insurance claims handling and insurance bad faith.
Senior Claims Representative : Fireman's Fund American Insurance Compan - [1967-09 to 1972-02]
Investigate and adjust claims presented to the Fireman's Fund insurance company by its insureds or by claimants seeking damages from the persons insured.
Special Agent, Intelligence : US Army Intelligence School - [1964-01 to 1964-12]
Became a US Army Intelligence Special Agent and Special Agent, US Army Intelligence Corps, Peoria, Illinois, residence office.
JD, Law : The University of West Los Angeles - [1967 to 1971]
AB, Philosophy : Claremont Men's College (Now Claremont McKenna College) - [1960 to 1963]