Essential Business Basics for Private Investigators
What you'll learn
- What Business Structure Should You Use
- How to Select a Business Name
- How to Setup a Business
- Do You Need a Federal Tax ID - Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- What Business Licenses Are Required
- What Professional Licenses are Required to be a Private Investigator
- What Bank Accounts Should I have
- What Accounting System Should I Use
- What Payment Types Should I accept
- How can I accept Credit Card Payments
- Working with Private Clients
- Working with Attorneys and Law Firms
- Working with Insurance Companies
- Case Management Systems
- What Should my Website Include
- Networking Opportunities
- Business Card Necessities
- Online Marketing Opportunities
- No minimum requirements or prerequisites
Welcome to the fascinating and mysterious world of private investigations. One of the fastest growing entrepreneurial businesses in the United States is the field of private investigators. Not only is it exciting it is also financially rewarding and an easy to enter career for most people.
Desire, hard work, and determination is what differentiates the successful private investigator from the rest of the crowd. Those PI’s that are willing to listen, invest in their future, and become life-long learners are the ones that rise to the top.
This course has six primary topics. While many of these could be taught in their own course, I have chosen to teach them in one to ensure you get the most benefit, the biggest bang, for your buck. These topics resonate with myself as I look back many years ago to when I started as a PI. There were very few resources available to the new private investigator and even fewer veteran private detectives that were willing to give up the secrets to potential competitors.
This course is a simple guide that will walk you through, step by step, as you setup your new private investigator business. From choosing a name for your business to what licenses you will need. From how to set your PI hourly rate to contract essentials. From retainer calculations to working with clients. This class has everything you will need to get you up and running your new private investigations business.
- This course is created for educational purposes only.
- This course is not meant to provide, nor should it be construed as, legal, or financial advice.
- It is recommended that you seek professional legal and financial advice to answer questions related to your situation.
Who this course is for:
- New Private Investigators
- Aspiring Private Investigators
- People Interested in the Basic Fundamentals of a PI Business
John Morris, the founder of EVCO Investigations and Lead Investigator, is a licensed, bonded and insured private investigator with hundreds of field cases under his belt and a proven leader in the Private Investigation field. He is a Senior Member and past Chairman and Treasurer of the PPIAC (Professional Private Investigators Association of Colorado). He is a current member in NCISS (National Council of Investigations and Security Specialists) ASIS International and Northern Colorado Southern Wyoming Chapter (An International association of Security and Investigation Specialists) Texas Association of Licensed Investigators, Florida Association of Licensed Investigators, California Association of Licensed Investigators, PSACO (Process Servers Association of Colorado) proud member of ACI (Association of Christian Investigators) He is also a certified FTER Investigator (Forensic Testimonial Evidence Recovery) through the CDITC (Criminal Defense Investigators Training Council) with over 35 years business experience combined with 14 years in municipal government experience. John is the founder of The PI Guy YouTube Channel and the other of multiple PI related books.