English Pronunciation: The Fundamentals
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course, you will understand how vowels, consonants, stress, rhythm, intonation and pauses all make English pronunciation what it is.
- You will be able to use these skills to sound more natural in everyday conversations
- You will be able to manage your pronunciation to have more impact in important situation, such as when giving a presentation
- You will know how to fix your own pronunciation, or how to fix your students' pronunciation if you are a teacher.
- Being able to understand English at an intermediate level is recommended.
We make a huge impression the moment we open our mouth to speak, yet millions of people around the world spend years studying English without ever being taught the skills to improve their pronunciation.
No matter where you come from or where you want to go, good English pronunciation can have a huge impact on your social life, your career and your experience of studying in an English-speaking country.
So, do you want to:
- be perfectly-understood and sound natural when having a conversation, wherever you are in the world?
- make an impact in English, such as when you are delivering a speech?
- train your ear to quickly tune in to natural English speech?
- fix any pronunciation issues that you have picked up over the years?
If so, this is the course for you!
This course covers vowels; consonants; stress; rhythm; intonation; and pauses; all of the key areas that you need to be an expert speaker of English.
Part 1: Vowels covers the essentials in three lessons: an introduction; a lesson on long and short vowels; and a lesson on diphthongs (the 'sliding' vowels). In each lesson you will be helped to create these vowel sounds and there are activities to help you to hear the difference, and correctly pronounce, commonly-confused vowels.
Part 2: Consonants will have you confidently pronouncing most words in four lessons: the first two lessons will help you to correctly pronounce the English consonants and there are activities to help you with the most hard-to-pronounce and commonly-confused consonants. The second two lessons cover consonant clusters, which will help you to pronounce trickier words such as crisps and extra.
Part 3: Stress & Rhythm covers what is arguably the most important feature of English pronunciation. We learn about stress in words and longer speech in the first two lessons and there are plenty of activities to help you to get it right. Then, there are two lessons on connected speech. In these lessons we learn how English words join together and there are activities to train your both your ear and your tongue.
Part 4: Intonation and Pauses is where you will begin to feel like a real master of the language. In the first three lessons we learn how to use intonation to add expression and meaning to our words, then there is a final lesson on pauses. We will look at how these skills were used together in a world-famous speech, and by this stage you will be ready to deliver a really impactful speech yourself.
Each of the 15 lessons is followed by a quiz, and there are activities to help you practice throughout the course.
The Pronunciation A-Z on www.worldenglish.pro has been made as an accompaniment to this course. Use it while you take this course to broaden and deepen your knowledge:
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who has studied English at school but hasn't had chance to practise their speaking or pronunciation
- Students preparing to study in an English-speaking country
- People who use English in their workplace
- Teachers of English as an Additional Language
- Anyone who wants to improve their pronunciation but doesn't know how
I am an English (Additional Language) Specialist at a prestigious Bangkok international school with prior experience as an Education Consultant for Oxford University Press and over eight years’ teaching experience at the British Council. I have a wealth of experience preparing English language learners for study abroad, including extensive experience tutoring students for the IELTS test, and extensive experience teaching business leaders through my work at the British Council in South Korea and Thailand. I specialise in developing pronunciation, speaking and writing.
I hold an MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL, and the Cambridge DELTA and CELTA.