English Literature: Be as Informed as a Literature Graduate
What you'll learn
- You will learn about the development of genres, language and ideas in English Literature
- You will learn about a variety of authors, their lives and how they influenced English Literature
- You will learn about literary forms
- The course looks primarily at English Literature but also covers American, Irish, Canadian and Australian literature in English
- After the course, you will be able to discuss literature with the literati.
- This course will help you if you are thinking of taking or have already started an English Literature degree
- You will be able to carry out individual textual analysis plus understand texts within their literary and historical background
- You will understand different approaches to literary criticism.
- Learn about the use of literary devices.
- You will discover how the English language progressed from Anglo-Saxon to Middle English to Early Modern English to Modern English.
- You will be invited to the course Zoom book club where you can discuss your reading with other students if you choose to do so.
- The course includes insights into the history of the United Kingdom, Ireland and USA.
- You will discover books that you will love.
- Learn in a course which is in depth, taught by a native English speaker based in the UK
- You love reading
- You are a fluent English speaker
- You have an interest in language and history
'If you look by the measure how personalized a course feels to a learner, no other course can match it. It does not give feel of an online course, it feels that you are being personally tutored by Eve. The course is a pretty detailed one and leaves you with intense desire to read all she has suggested in the videos.'
'It was enjoyable, interesting and definitely widened my knowledge of the world of literature. Loved it.'
Do you want to discover the highlights of English literature and become well informed about some of the world's best known writers? Do you want to learn about the development of literature, language and ideas? Maybe you need to pass a citizenship test or college entrance exam. This course will give you a thorough grounding in English Literature.
If you have always wanted to be a literature buff but didn't know where to start, this course is for you. Maybe you are already knowledgeable about English Literature but would like to learn a little bit more about its history and the development of language and ideas. Maybe you are thinking of taking a college course in English Literature and want a taster to see if it is for you. You may need a knowledge of English language and literature to pass a citizenship test or gain access to a higher education institution. If so, this course is in depth enough to meet your needs.
This is an in depth course in English Literature . Presented the way a literature degree at any respected university would be structured, it looks at every major era of English Literature from the Anglo-Saxon period to the modern day, covering the major authors in each era. We also look at the development of the English Language, English history and the development of ideas from medieval heroicism to postmodernism. This is not just a collection of my personal favourite writers: it's very much based on the English literary cannon. We also look at American, Australian, Canadian and Irish literature in English. Along the way we'll cover works by Chaucer, Shakespeare, Marlowe, Austen, Tennyson, the Brontes, Dickens, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling, William Faulkner, F.Scott Fitzgerald, Beckett, Yeats, Keats, Shelley, Byron, Wordsworth, Haddon... There's something here for everyone.
The reading list is pretty extensive but you can dip in and out of it and no prior knowledge of the texts is required.
With a degree in English Literature and a Master's in Old English from the respected Queen's University of Belfast as well as being a writer myself, I will be your guide on a literary odyssey which spans 13 centuries and more than 47 writers.
Join today to
Discover timeless stories and poetry you will love
Grow confidence in your knowledge of literature
Learn about the development of the English language
Understand cultural and ideological shifts found in English Literature
Udemy has a 30 day money back guarantee so you can enroll without risk. I'm looking forward to joining you on the course.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants an overview of the devlopment of English Literature
- You need a knowledge of English language, history and literature for citizenship or other tests
- You are undertaking or planning to undertake an English Literature degree
- You love and want a greater knowledge of the English language and its development.
- You just live reading.
Hi. I'm Eve Williams and It's my aim to help you go as far as you can go in music, business and English Literature. I'm an award winning singer and songwriter from Co. Down in Northern Ireland. I have written with and for stars of the Voice Norway and the X Factor UK and my music has been featured in documentaries and advertising. I'm a regular contributor to Songwriting magazine in the UK.
I hold a Master of Music in Songwriting from Bath Spa University as well as an Honours degree plus a Master's degree in English from the Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland. In 2015 Nashville Songwriters Association International recognised me as One to Watch twice (April and June).
I'm also also a music educator and online coach, running an on site teaching practice and an online coaching/mentoring service . I have taught at Queen's University of Belfast (Russell International Excellence Group), further education colleges, music schools, community groups, music industry education bodies and privately and in doing so have worked with a very large range of groups and individuals so I'm always happy to engage with your questions and give feedback on your work.
If you have any questions about any of my courses, please feel free to get in touch.
'A great voice'
-John McGlynn, Anúna
'Eve has established herself as an artist of considerable sophistication, recognised for her powerful toplines and moving lyrics.'
-The Musician Journal, UK
'This is quality stuff '
'This is excellent folk music and comes highly recommended'