English for German Speakers
What you'll learn
- Common mistakes made by Germans learning English
- How to identify the difference between present perfect and simple past
- How to form questions in English
- False friends between German and English
- This course is appropriate for A2-C1 English learners.
"My actual chef works by my company since 3 years."
If you've ever said a sentence like this, then this course is for you! While there are many similarities between German and English, there are also many differences which can cause trouble for German speakers who are learning English. Sometimes a word that looks like a German word actually means something very different in English. This course will help you sound more natural when you speak English and will help you to permanently correct some of these common mistakes.
When we learn a new language, it’s common to find the similarities between our native language and the learned language and stick to them, because it’s comfortable. However, this can be tricky, because sometimes something that sounds the same means something different, or just isn’t how an English speaker would express themselves. Sometimes we don’t even realize we’re making a mistake, because the word or phrase sounds right to us in our native language; this is when mistakes become fossilized, or impossible to correct, because we’ve made the mistake so many times without realizing it was a mistake. This course aims to point out those mistakes you might be making (hopefully before they become fossilized) so you can correct them!
Topics you will find in this course:
- False friends: Identifying words that look the same or similar in the two languages, but actually have different meanings
- Letter writing: Read and correct a letter for typical vocabulary, grammatical and punctuation mistakes
- Grammar: How to form questions and the difference between the simple past and present perfect tenses
- Other common mistakes and the reasons behind them
- Quizzes to test your knowledge on all of the above
This course is taught by Chris and Amanda, two English teachers who live in Germany. Together, they’ve taken their combined 20 years of experience to create this course specifically designed for German speakers.
Who this course is for:
- Germans who want to improve their English
Chris Lewis is an experienced English teacher who has worked in Germany, Croatia, Scotland, and Mexico. Currently, he specializes in helping native German speakers to improve their English. He is a native English speaker from California, and he loves making learning both fun and effective! He also teaches Spanish and intercultural business.
Amanda is a TEFL-Certified English teacher from Boston, MA, USA. She lives and teaches in the southwest of Germany and taught for many years in Italy. Her background in theatre education makes her passionate about teaching English in an interactive and enjoyable way that is useful in the real world.