Electronic Music Live Performance: Ableton and MIDI
What you'll learn
- Integrate and understand the newest MIDI options (iPad, MIDI controllers and DAW)
- Make an impression live when you "play" rather than simply "trigger" electronic music.
- Use any DAW, but Ableton users will gain advanced insight into optimization and customization techniques
- Stay inspired and perform expressively on stage with realtime MIDI CC control
- Students should be familiar with what MIDI is and how to use it in basic situations.
- Be using MIDI and playing electronic music
When you're on stage and performing electronic music it is a thrill! But, it can be undercut if your MIDI rig is unreliable, confusing or hard to use.
Great electronic music needs to be "playable" and not rely entirely on triggered loops. Modern MIDI equipment can make live performance incredibly flexible and powerful - if you know how to do it. Configuring it all and getting your MIDI routing correct can be an insurmountable challenge for many artists.
- Learn how to reliably use an iPad as performance "dashboard"
- Work faster and better with tested apps and tools that the pros use
- Get creative with instruments, loops and sampling
- Customize your own tweakable parameters and get expressive on stage!
Don't waste your time tinkering.
Instead, follow this clear, concise guide and start designing and building your own, highly personalized MIDI rig for live performance today. This course is ideal for performing artists who want to modernize their rig with an iPad (or simply more flexible MIDI-based performance control.)
Content and Overview:
Using the tips and walkthroughs in this course, you can design and use a much more empowering set of modern MIDI-based tools to integrate your instruments, keyboards and other MIDI controllers. Plus, your new MIDI rig will be totally reliable, easier to troubleshoot and more expressive when you go out to play live! This course will help make your music more original, make performances more successful and allow you more creative freedom to express yourself than you ever though possible!
In the first major section of the course, you'll develop a complete understanding of the tools, apps and technologies that will form the basis for your awesome live MIDI rig. You'll watch walkthroughs of installing and configuring you're devices for maximum power (and minimum distraction). Ableton users will benefit from tips and tricks related to devices, chains and racks. However, users of many DAWs will still be able to use the foundation of this course to make a powerful MIDI rig. After all, MIDI is the main ingredient.
In the following section, you'll learn how to get inspired and be creative while on stage. Find out what holds most electronic musicians hostage - pre-fab loop triggering - and liberate yourself by setting up the best iOS apps the right way. Learn about creating tweakable parameters (like filter cutoff, reverb, envelopes and more).
In the final main section, you'll learn about automating tempo changes, discover the power of LED feedback and learn how to optimize your rig with:
- More flexibility (scene/program changes)
- Increased reliability (hardwire vs. bluetooth and wifi)
- Distraction-free artistic expression ("blue hand" MIDI mapping)
Throughout the course, you'll benefit from concise and to-the-point lessons. Each lecture focuses on one topic and cuts to the chase fast without leaving out the details. I've condensed over 3 years of live MIDI and synth performance into a concise and powerful course designed specifically for active electronic musicians who need powerful, modern and reliable tools.
Who this course is for:
- Electronic musicians who want to perform live and want to build or maintain a live MIDI rig.
I am a full-time professional musician who has broad teaching experience with guitar & bass students in rock, blues, jazz and many other genres. I perform live on bass, guitar and keyboards. In addition, I perform live electronic music improvisation. I've devoted over 26 years to my own well-rounded musical education, focusing on a mastery of all aspects of modern music - from music theory to ear training; from live performance to composition and practice routines.
I specialize in bridging the gap between music and technology, focusing on using modern tools to demonstrate all aspects of music. I compose and perform with Ableton and Push 2 and I have experience with Cubase, ProTools and Logic. I'm extremely comfortable using web-based tools and mobile devices in education, performance and composition. I have created custom MIDI and OSC interfaces for live performance.
I currently maintain a full calendar of private one-on-one students in addition to hundreds of online students in electronic music, guitar and bass. I offer clear, accessible lessons for beginners and experts alike.