Egyptian Arabic Absolute Beginner's Workshop
What you'll learn
- Interact in Egyptian Arabic on an introductory level, using key expressions and words
- Speak and understand greetings, goodbyes, and polite exchanges such as “please”, “thank you”, etc.
- Build respect and rapport by choosing formal or informal words to address people, depending on the context
- Ask questions such as "who?", "what?", "when?", "where?", "why?", and "how?"
- Refer to people and things using correct pronouns (him, her, it, you, this, that, etc.)
- Count from one to one hundred in Egyptian Arabic
- Use helpful borrowed words (“cognates”) from other languages that are part of Egyptian Arabic
- Students need to be able to understand English, the language of instruction
- Knowledge of the Arabic alphabet is not needed for this course
- No special materials or software are required
Egyptian Arabic is a spoken language that is highly interactive, and the best way to master it is by actually interacting with people. This course aims to give you key expressions and phrases that you can use to immediately begin communicating. You will learn how to engage in simple, friendly conversations that signal respect for the person and the culture, and an eagerness to learn.
Start learning Egyptian Arabic by mastering the interactive, relational building blocks given in this course.
- Vocabulary that lets you greet people, say goodbye, engage in polite exchanges and ask key questions
- Information about when to use formal or informal variations, depending on who you're talking to
- Useful functional words and expressions that you'll need for your next steps, including numbers, pronouns, questions, and requests
Communicate from Day 1 to accelerate your learning of Egyptian Arabic
This course will focus on giving you initial tools that you can use to interact, right away. These are not randomly chosen vocabulary items. They are foundational words and expressions that will allow you to begin to interact in Egyptian Arabic. You will learn the initial Arabic you need to start connecting relationally with Egyptians.
The vocabulary that you will use, once you have completed the course, will immediately signal to the people with whom you are speaking that you appreciate and respect them, you enjoy their language and culture, and that you want to learn more. It will position you to take advantage of the friendliness and outgoingness of most Egyptians, as you interact with them in an open, friendly, interested way.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for absolute beginners in Egyptian Arabic. It can also serve as an excellent refresher course for people who learned Egyptian Arabic in the past, but have been out of practice. It is also helpful for students of Modern Standard Arabic who want to explore the most-spoken dialect in the Arab world. This course is probably not for you if you're looking to learn more advanced and complex Egyptian Arabic.
I teach writing and English at the American University in Cairo and design software in my own private company. I am an Arabic learner and teacher. I have lived in Egypt for 27 years, and use Arabic as a part of my everyday life. I love enabling people to interact with the Arab world. I am originally from Canada.