User Stories: A Practitioner's Guide
What you'll learn
- Learn how to write User Stories and why User Stories were developed.
- Learn the signs of well written user stories, using INVEST, and know how to identify common problems.
- Learn how to handle Epics, Features and User Stories and why different sized stories are useful.
- Learn how to use Personas, User Journeys, Problems, Negative stories and Process Mapping to discover requirements.
- Understand how to split large user stories into more manageable chunks so you can increase agility..
- Identify when user stories are not the best communication tool.
- How to run refinement sessions, including how to use Planning Poker and a Definition of Done.
- How to visualise and manage an "out of control" product backlog with User Story Maps and a simpler alternative for smaller projects..
- Learn "real world" tips that will accelerate your ability to work with development teams.
- No experience needed - this course assumes no knowledge and builds up from there.
Do you want to learn how to write, refine and deliver user stories?
Are you a Product Owner or Business Analyst who needs to understand this powerful technique?
Do you work in an Agile (Scrum or Kanban) software development environment?
Do you want to learn how to run refinement sessions and deliver better products?
Do you need to be confident that you’re writing and using user stories correctly in order to develop your career?
You might have worked with User Stories before or are being asked to look at them for the first time, either way this is the right course for you. This is your opportunity to learn with someone who really understands the subject!
This course is one of the highest-rated User Story courses on Udemy - just check out the reviews...
"The course is easy to follow and understand and the presentation is engaging . The material is accessible to the beginner and still useful to those with some experience with user stories." John.
"Very good match. Clear and very useful." Jean-Christophe.
"Easy to understand and adopt", Tina.
"This is the right level of information I need. I like understanding the concepts behind why user stories are used," Judi.
"Yes, it is a good one. It helps to look at the requirement - User stories in a different way." Web and App Studio.
What will I learn?
In a series of lectures, you will
Discover the reason why user stories exist
Understand the elements that make up a user story and why they are structured in that way.
Learn how to discover user stories using Personas, Business Processes, Negative stories and Customer Journey Maps.
Learn the signs of well written user stories and know how to identify common problems using the INVEST checklist
Learn how to handle Epics, Features and User Stories and why different sized stories are useful.
Understand the best techniques for splitting user large stories into more manageable chunks using the SPIDR technique.
Identify when user stories are not the best communication tool and what to do instead.
Learn how to run refinement sessions, with tips on frequency, estimation and process.
Understand how to visualise and manage an "out of control" product backlog.
Who's teaching me?
Hi, I'm Chris, and I have over twenty years’ experience as a Business Analyst and Product Owner, much of it working with agile software development teams, so you're in good hands!
I have delivered whole systems using User Stories and have mentored multiple Business Analysts in their roles. My specific sector knowledge includes Utilities, Laboratories, Tax Agencies, Government Agencies, Weather Forecasting and Financial Services; I've been through the pain so you don't have to!
In this course, I cover the basic practices and more advanced techniques, taking you through the theory, practice and pitfalls of user stories to help you create, refine and visualise backlogs that will help your team deliver your software products.
The course contains loads of practical tips, tricks and lessons from "real world" experience; we even look at when we should break the rules!
I'm confident that, if you're interested the subject matter, you'll find this course valuable,
The course includes
Over two hours of video tuition, with slides covering the key points
Includes multiple worked examples for you to practice writing user stories.
Contains genuine anecdotes and lessons learned from a career in the public and private sectors spent helping teams to develop working software.
A downloadable complete e-book covering course materials (Amazon rated 4.5 stars). That's right, I literally wrote the book on this subject!
This course will take you from the basics to more advanced techniques that will give you the tools and confidence to succeed!
Remember, with Udemy’s 30 day money back guarantee and a free e-book for you to keep, no matter what you decide, you simply cannot go wrong!
Who this course is for:
- Business Analysts who need to learn, or improve their ability, to discover, write and use user stories.
- Product Owners who want to learn how to discover user stories, or perhaps need to control a troublesome backlog..
- Agile practitioners who want to develop their knowledge and skills when interacting within an agile development environment.
Innovation Works UK is a UK based consultancy with over 20 years experience in Business Analysis, Software Development and Data Protection across a wide range of industries. We aim to provide well-written and practical advice within our areas of expertise. Our course creators are directly involved in Business Analysis, Software Development, Data Protection and GDPR within the financial services and government sectors and aim to bring this experience to our training courses in order to help our trainees develop their careers.