Decision Making: Solve Problems with Emotional Intelligence
What you'll learn
- Identify how to make better decisions through critical thinking and creative problem solving.
- Recognize and remove barriers to creativity to foster an innovative work environment producing practical solutions.
- Discover ways to move beyond familiar ways of thinking and seeing the world, and become open to new ways of listening, leading, responding, and innovating.
- Use mindfulness to evaluate all of the attributes of the different options, and make more informed decisions.
- Develop and build your emotional intelligence.
- You should have an interest and understanding of emotional intelligence but no prior knowledge and experience is needed to benefit from the course.
- An interest in how to use your emotions and manage impulses to effectively solve problems and make optimal choices.
- A keenness to learn more about innovation, creativity and mindfulness as techniques to use in problem solving and making decisions.
- You should have a willingness to complete the practical activities to grow and develop your decision making and your emotional intelligence skills.
How effective are you at processing information from your environment and using emotion to drive your decision making?
How rational and objective are you in problem solving and decision making?
From the decision to rise in the morning to the decision go to close your eyes and go to sleep at night, you are constantly solving problems and making decisions. Throughout each day you are confronted with a variety of problems and decisions that require a rational, thoughtful response underpinned with good emotional awareness.
This course is about proactively working towards solutions that help you to make timely decisions as you solve work problems to bring value to your company and your customers. In addition, the skills, processes and tools taught in this course can bring value to other aspects of your life.
Good decision making means that you can grasp problems and mindfully devise effective solutions. It means that you can deal realistically with situations as they arise and manage emotions and impulses that may disrupt effective decision making.
Both creativity and mindfulness form a basic part of solving problems along with intuition. Intuition is a decision making process that is often overlooked in business. Applied in a mindful way, and used well, it can add richness and speed to developing realistic solutions to problems. Critical thinking to work in an emotionally intelligent manner forms a major component of the skills of decision making to overcome unconscious bias. This is covered in detail within the course.
The course is based around the Decision Making component of Reuven Bar-On's comprehensive assessment of emotional intelligence. You do not need any knowledge of this model or about emotional intelligence to take the course. (It is important for me to stress that I have no commercial affiliation with Reuven Bar-on and the EQ-i 2.0 assessment.)
This course is a standalone course for anyone interested in understanding how to solve problems and make good quality decisions more effectively. It forms part of a comprehensive course that explores emotional intelligence in more depth.
The course covers the ways to stimulate creativity and looks in detail at the fashionable business technique of mindfulness. Within this course, mindfulness is applied to decision making.
You'll receive all the information that you need and will be coached using loads of practical hints that you can use straight away.
The course is made up of a series of lectures and contains course notes. There are a series of interactive practical activities that involve some interaction with other people and some reflection.
The course material makes up a one to two day workshop so is equivalent to 8 -12 hour's training. It forms part of our advanced emotional intelligence course endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
By completing this course, you will be able to
Identify how to make better decisions through critical thinking and creative problem solving
Recognise and remove barriers to creativity to foster an innovative work environment producing practical solutions
Discover ways to move beyond familiar ways of thinking and seeing the world
Investigate new ways of listening, leading, responding, and innovating
Use mindfulness to evaluate all attributes of the different options available and make more informed decisions
PLEASE NOTE - This course is NOT for you if you are not prepared to work through the practical activities that make up a fundamental part of the course. Your decision making cannot be developed just by watching the video lectures. It requires you to do some reflective thinking, to get some feedback and to discuss your development with others. I'm afraid that you won't get the best from the course unless you are prepared to do this.
There are EIGHT practical activities included within the course that are designed to help you to develop your decision making capabilities. These are
Reflecting about the Emotional Intelligence Course
Assess your Decision Making
Understanding your Reality
Problem Solving with SCAMPER
Impulses and Gratification
Mindfulness: What Affects your Energy?
An Exercise in Critical Thinking
For example, by completing the practical activity "Problem Solving with SCAMPER" you will enable to come up with new ideas when you're trying to develop or improve a product or service.
This course is being continually refined and updated to ensure it remains current and relevant.
The course contains a series of Lightbulb Moments resource cards, which have been created to provide you with handy reminders of key points around topics covered within the course.
All PDFs can be completed online and are Section 508 / ADA Accessibility compliant.
All videos are High Definition recorded in 1080p.
All videos have grammatically correct English captions.
Latest update - November 2022
Who this course is for:
- This course will support the development of your emotional intelligence by helping you to make better quality decisions. It will be of interest to anyone who is looking to develop their problem solving and decision making skills. It will help you to understand your reality and how it differs from others, how your emotions can influence your impulses, and how you can use mindfulness and creativity to drive your decisions and solve problems.
- This course will NOT give you quick fixes or answers to your problems but help you in developing your capability to do this for yourself.
Hi. I'm Robin Hills. I am an emotional intelligence coach, trainer and facilitator with over 40 years' business and commercial experience. I provide knowledge and skills that help people understand themselves and others better.
I have the most comprehensive range of on-line courses based on emotional intelligence in business - not only on Udemy but anywhere on the internet. I am not teaching any other types of course as I am a specialist in emotional intelligence and it is the focus of my business.
My courses go beyond the fundamental basics of emotional intelligence covering many aspects of how it can be applied in day to day work to lead, grow and develop people in ways that build authentic relationships.
My work takes me into small start-ups through to large corporate multi-nationals and into the Public Sector with financial institutions, government departments and health departments, as well as charities. This provides me a practical understanding of how emotional intelligence works and applied in the real world, enabling me to keep up to date with relevant issues.
I'm a registered practitioner with the British Psychological Society and an active member of the NW committee of the Association for Business Psychology.
My company is Ei4Change (Emotional Intelligence 4 Change) - recognised nationally and internationally as specialists with expertise in training, personal development and coaching focusing on emotional intelligence, positive psychology and neuroscience in the workplace. Our emotional intelligence programmes are accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
Over the last few years, I have delivered workshops at global emotional intelligence and neuroscience conferences. These have been held at Harvard University, at University of Manchester, in Cape Town, the Middle East and India.
I am the author of
- The Authority Guide to Emotional Resilience: Strategies to weather storms and manage stress in the workplace (published May 2016)
- The Authority Guide to Behaviour in Business: How to build successful and powerful relationships (published November 2017)
Both are available on Amazon.
Teaching emotional intelligence skills is a challenge at the best of times so these courses require you to take some ACTION and put into practice what you have learnt. I am here to support and guide you.
The learning process I use on Udemy is designed to work with you and the challenges you are facing today and tomorrow. It is practice-driven, evidence-based and directly helps you to improve your capacity to change.
Many of my Udemy courses offer you the chance to win a valuable prize as you work through the course.
All learners gain access to additional resources to develop emotional intelligence outside of Udemy, including a free book, podcasts and subscription to a digital magazine - Ei-Matters.
I look forward to empowering your emotional management.