Drum Set for Beginners
What you'll learn
- Students can play three different drum beats.
- Students can play a fill.
- Students can play a repeated four bar phrase.
- Students can demonstrate creativity by improvising a drum fill.
- Students can play at a variety of speeds.
- Students can play along with pre-recorded music.
- Students understand important musical vocabulary.
- Students can assemble and tune a Drum Set.
- Students will develop critical listening skills.
- Students will play the drums with proper technique.
- Students can play the drums!
- A Standard 5 Piece Drum Set.
- Drum Sticks
- A Computer
- Earbuds or Headphones
Drumming is fun and easy. This video course will teach you to play the Drum Set. You will learn three different drum beats that can easily be played along with some of your favorite music from the radio. You will learn everything you need to know to get started on the drums. Are you ready to have fun?
Who this course is for:
- Age 8-14 with parental guidance.
- Age 15 and up as a self directed learner.
Tom Nelson has been teaching drums and music for over 25 years. He holds both a Bachelors and Masters degree in Music Education along with a letter of endorsement in Instructional Coaching. He has been teaching instrumental music in the public schools of Pennsylvania for the last 25 years and is an Adjunct Percussion Faculty member at Bucknell University. He maintains a private drum lesson studio and is sought after as a clinician and guest speaker. He is a member of the Vic Firth Private Instructor Team and the author of his own method book "Nelson's Great Big Drum Book" available on hamar publications.
In addition to his collegiate studies, Tom has studied drumming under the late world renown jazz drummer Joe Morello and also Dom Famularo.
As a performer Tom has performed on numerous independent recordings including several that have been featured on The Weather Channel. He works with The Williamsport Symphony Orchestra and several local groups ranging in styles from rock to jazz to country. He is also the drummer for the National/Regional Fleetwood Mac Tribute "Tusk" performing all over the USA.
In his free time Tom enjoys volunteer coaching soccer for local teams that his kids play on. He enjoys the outdoors and spending time with his family.