What you'll learn
- You'll learn the two most essential techniques for creating drawings that look realistic
- Which tools to use for drawing and shading
- How to use your pencil as a tool to accurately measure proportions of your subject and translate these into your drawing
- How to recognise a range of tones in your subject including highlights, midtones and shadows
- How to use shading techniques to create the illusion of 3-D form
- Basic drawing experience with pencils
- An interest in learning how to draw realistically
Are you struggling to achieve realistic form in your drawing?
As a drawing tutor the two biggest challenges to drawing realistically that I see time and again in student work are proportion and shading. In this course you will learn how to measure proportion accurately and how to shade effectively to create a realistic sense of three-dimensional form.
This quick and practical course is divided into two main sections:
Drawing Essentials: Accurate Proportion
In this first part of the course we look at the technical side of measuring widths, lengths, angles and points that line up. By practicing these techniques you will gain an understanding of how to translate measurements from your subject into your drawing to achieve accurate and realistic proportion. Draw along with me to practice measuring techniques and produce a 'skeleton' drawing that maps out your subject so you have an accurate base to work from.
Drawing Essentials: Effective Shading
In the second part of the course we look at how to shade with pencils to create a sense of '3D' depth and form in your drawing. Starting with the basics of tone I will take you through exercises to practice how to see different areas of light and dark, and how to use your pencil to gradually build up subtle layers of tone to draw realistic looking objects.
This course is suitable for beginner artists or for intermediate artists wanting to improve their current drawing skills.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner to intermediate artists or art students
- Beginners who want to learn specific drawing techniques of shading and proportion
- Artists who want to learn techniques for improving the accuracy of their drawings
Hi, I'm Emily, I'm an artist and an art teacher. After finishing a Masters of Art & Design I returned to the simple joy of putting pencil to paper and just drawing. Since then drawing has become my passion as both an expressive art form and an enjoyable and mindful practice. In 2017, after 7 years of teaching art at university level I started my own school, The Pencil Room, where I teach drawing and painting classes and workshops. From here I developed The Pencil Room Online, to share my classes in a suitable format for online learning.
My approach to teaching drawing is to give my students the skills to draw anything they choose, rather than teaching the steps to drawing just one type of subject. My focus is on changing the way you look at what you see so that you perceive it in a way that can be translated onto paper. Once you can do this, you can draw anything with time and practice.
I love the simplicity of drawing and I value doodling from the imagination as much as realistic drawing. Art doesn't need to be serious, it can be simple and playful. Making art can be fun, challenging and therapeutic and it can change the way you see the world.
Master Art & Design
Bachelor Media Arts