Draw and tile Islamic geometric patterns with Sandy Kurt
What you'll learn
- Construct different Islamic geometric patterns
- Tile the patterns to create a larger composition
- Combine the patterns in a layout to create an eye-catching zellige design
- You will need a compass, a ruler, a hard pencil (2H or harder) for drafting, a fine liner for outlining or a soft pencil for tracing, paper and tracing paper, eraser, masking tape.
- You should know how to handle and use a compass
- You should have previous experience in drawing with a pencil and a ruler
In this course, I teach you how to construct eight Islamic Geometric patterns using a compass and a ruler.
I will also provide you with a step by step pdf tutorial for each pattern to supplement the video demonstrations.
In each unit you will learn to construct and outline an Islamic geometric pattern.
This course consists of 11 units:
- 2 main constructions
- 4 simple patterns
- 4 complex patterns
- 1 layout
This course is divided into 2 stages:
1) The first one is to learn how to construct all 8 patterns. With just two construction we are able to outline 8 amazing zellige patterns.
2) The second stage is to construct them again but this time on a smaller scale so that they can fit on a single sheet of paper. This is when you will learn how to construct the layout.
Once the layout is ready you will construct each pattern one more time to give them the right proportions and thanks to the layout you will know exactly where to put them.
At the end of the course, you can also add the colours of your choice and step up your game.
This course is suitable for people with previous experience with compass and ruler and with an interest in the geometric patterns they have seen in and around the Islamic world.
Who this course is for:
- Suitable for people that love geometric patterns, mandalas or zentangles.
- Suitable for people that want to create art in a relaxing way
- Suitable for people that know how to use a compass and want to broaden their skills
- Suitable for people that already have some experience with basic Islamic geometry
HEY! I ’M SANDY KURT
I’m an artist, self-taught designer, and educator who is hell-bent on teaching everyone how to get started with Islamic geometry.
I was born and raised in Europe, with nothing more than some pencils, my laptop and passion, I’m proud to inspire people to leave their comfort zone and learn new ways to express their artistic self.
WHAT DO I DO EXACTLY?
I create vibrant and attention grabbing artwork that’s centered around individuality and uniqueness and I want to teach you how to do it.
...ONE YEAR FROM NOW YOU WILL WISH YOU HAD STARTED TODAY
My passion for Islamic geometry began in 2016 with an online course, an old compass and some cheap watercolours.
My miniature complex geometry and sense of colour captured the attention of social media and soon I was inspiring thousands of artists to get started with this traditional art form.
Never expecting to be just an artist, within 2 years, I started collaborating with brands around the world bringing my unique style to life through product design.
Today, I bring my positive attitude about art and my personable style to workshops around Europe, online courses and Instagram, where I have a growing fan base of 26K+.
Look out for my free tutorials on my website or follow me on Instagram @sandy.kurt to see my latest artowork.