Dramatic Black and White Photography in the Digital Age
What you'll learn
- The core principles behind black & white conversion, so you can successfully apply them to your own artwork using a whole range of the most powerful and flexible black & white conversion techniques
- How to evaluate tonal range in your images with the Histogram tool and use it as a basic reference in your workflow
- Master the most effective and flexible photo editing Photoshop tool: Curves
- The best ways to fix common issues in black & white photographs, such as "flat" images, washed-out sky, eyes obscured by shadows, low contrast, lack of definition and lack of details and texture
- Pro tips to blend multiple adjustments in a seamless way in one image with help of masking techniques
- Insights into how to work in non-destructive way with Adjustment Layers — and massively speed up your workflow in the process
- How RGB additive color model works and advice on how to apply this knowledge to your work
- Useful techniques to pick out details and, in an intelligent way, sharpen selected areas within the frame
- Easy and intuitive ways to improve your images by applying targeted adjustments in a few simple steps
- Ideally Photoshop CC, trial free version is more than enough. If you have very old Photoshop version - Photoshop CS2 you still will be able to work with most of the techniques, apart from the Black&White Tool, since it was introduced in Photoshop CS3
- No prior knowledge of Photoshop is necessary, I will explain all the techniques in a simple way
- We will work with high quality images provided as supplementary materials to help you move on even faster!
Black and white photography is an art — not just a click of a button that changes a colour image to monochrome. The creative process is a fun and exciting journey that this course, “Dramatic Black & White Photography in the Digital Age,” helps you confidently and efficiently create cinematic, timeless images. Packed with high quality, downloadable supporting materials (14 high resolution TIFF files), this hands-on tutorial provides you with step-by-step edits necessary for you to work effectively, in a non-destructive way, make intelligent creative decisions and get the artistic and dramatic black & white results you desire.
Sharpen Your Skills
Simple Monochrome Conversion
Get results fast working with simple “one step” methods of black & white conversion such as Desaturate, Hue/Saturation and Grayscale.
RGB Model & Photoshop Channels
You’ll learn how to evaluate your images with dedicated Photoshop tools. And you’ll also develop a deep understanding of RGB color mode, its relation to photographic filters and how to use sophisticated methods to perform stunning black & white conversions.
Advanced Black & White Conversion
Explore the range of advanced black & white conversion methods: LAB Color, Hue/Saturation with Adjustment Layer, Twin Hue/Saturation Method, Gradient Map, Channel Mixer, Black & White tool and Adobe Camera RAW Plugin.
Master Black & White Artwork
Discover the most important components of powerful monochrome artwork: tonal separation between key elements in your image and strong contrast and wide tonal range, including rich shadow and highlight detail.
The Histogram & Levels Tools
Learn how to extend tonal range in your images with the Levels tool. Reference the luminosity adjustments with the Histogram to avoid clipping shadows or highlights in your photos.
You’ll explore combining masks and adjustment layers to achieve your creative vision and maintain great flexibility. Together we’ll create alternative versions of one photo in no time. This also allows you to revisit your artwork in the future and bring new ideas to life with just a few easy adjustments.
Who this course is for:
- Take this course if you love photography
- Take this course if you are fascinated with the timeless beauty of black and white images
- Take this course if you want to create b&w conversions like a pro!
- Take this course if you want to learn in detail powerful and flexible Photoshop techniques to improve your photos
- Take this course if you are curious about techniques behind dramatic black and white photographs
- Take this course if you are an artist and would like to introduce digital techniques in your creative process
- Take this course if you want to learn how to create digital artwork that sells well on image stocks like Sutterstock, iStock, Alamy and others - b&w vintage style is now more trendy than ever!
- Take this course if you want to develop artistic skills in fields of creative photo processing
Like you, I’m an artist. I’m passionate about creating personal, meaningful and captivating artwork. I love the freedom of the medium, as it allows - and perhaps encourages - unexpected moments that are both surprising and delightful.
Your vision is unique, and my goal is to assist you on your path to realize your artistic dreams. It’s my mission to support and nourish your talent with the tools necessary to take your photography to the next level. Sharing my experience and helping you develop your visual language helps me evolve as a teacher and enriches me as a human being.
I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to interact with people all over the world who share the same passion as me. It’s honestly my greatest thrill and source of fulfillment to foster the growth and development of the DAC community of photographers.
A born-and-raised Polish girl with a passion for artistic self-expression and adventure, I trained at the Eugeniusz Geppert Academy of Art and Design in Wroclaw, Poland and graduated with a Master of Fine Arts in 2003. Photography has been my medium of choice for 20 years, starting in darkrooms and now, in the digital space. I am a featured photography skills teacher on several prominent online educational platforms and am thrilled that over 70,000 students from 183 countries around the world have joined my courses and developed their photography skills with me. It’s a great honor and delight to be engaged in this work — and it’s the best way I know of to make friends on all seven continents! As you can probably tell, I’m an obsessive learner who spends time watching, reading, photographing, editing, creating and selling educational courses.
Thank you for taking the time to visit. I’m happy we’re connected and I’m excited for the journey ahead.