Essential Docker for Python Flask Development
What you'll learn
- You will learn the fundamental concepts for the design of Docker Containers, specifically for Flask web development
- You will be introduced to the Dockerfile structure
- You will learn how to setup a server cluster using Docker Compose
- You will learn how to effectively interact with containers, write tests and debug applications
- A computer with internet access and administrative access to install packages
- Good understanding of how to use the command line interface, internet and code editors
- Good knowledge of the Flask web framework
This course will teach you the essential knowledge required to integrate Docker in your everyday development flow. Docker is an easy way for developers to recreate a production-level server cluster locally in their desktop or laptop using very few resources.
A lot of companies and startups are moving to Docker, because it speeds up the development process and reduces the amount of debugging that occurs when they create software against different versions of their operating system and libraries.
The course covers the basic concepts and goes through the setup of different use cases, specifically Flask-related, from a simple web application to MySQL and MongoDB multi-server setups.
At the end of the course students will be able to write solid Dockerfiles and Docker Compose configuration files that will allow them to write software against reliable environments and without the need to install packages like Python, MySQL or MongoDB. Just install the simple Docker client for Windows or Mac and you’re set to go!
If you already know the basics of Flask and you are interested in how to setup Docker containers for their development, this is the course for you.
The course is divided in 3 sections:
Introduction which covers all the concepts necessary to understand how Docker works and how to install it
Simple Flask Containers which gently introduces to the basics of containers and how to write a good Dockerfile and how to interact with the containers
- Docker Compose which goes into the composing part of Docker, where with one file you can spawn a complete architecture stack, like an application server and a database server running in parallel and synchronized as production environments do
The course has more than 2 hours of video tutorials as well as the source code at the end of each section, so that you can fork and play with the Docker setups.
The course can take anywhere from 1 to 3 days to complete based on how much material the student completes daily.
Additionally we’re constantly updating the course, adding contents thanks to the feedback of our students.
Join this course and continue your path to becoming a professional backend web developer!
Who this course is for:
- Programmers and developers with basic Flask knowledge who want to expand their Docker skills
- Application architects who want to understand better how to scale their applications
- Startup CTOs who want to understand better best practices for application deployment
- Computer Science Students who want to get exposed to real life concepts
From Zero is an educational project created by Jorge Escobar, a technologist, entrepreneur and open source fanatic with more than 15 years of experience in the development of web applications in New York City.
Jorge has worked in well established companies like Yahoo!, Univision and MongoDB and has also been the technical founding member of various successful tech startups that have received multiple rounds of venture capital.
The biggest problem Jorge has experienced during his career is finding well rounded developers and he interviewed hundreds of them for positions in the teams he was leading. A constant pattern (no matter if candidates came from a good university or had a few years of experience) was the lack of practical, real world knowledge.
That’s why Jorge created From Zero, an educational project that would address those practical knowledge issues through training that builds hands-on experience and equip students with the tools required to be successful in today’s technology business needs.