DIY "Moon" Moccasins With Printable Patterns & PDF Tutorial
What you'll learn
- How to make barefoot leather shoes just as if you were looking over my shoulder.
- Over the course of 2 hours of video, Lougaya clearly and precisely explains how to make your own moccasins with very few and simple hand tools.
- Along with the videos, you will receive the PDF tutorial as well as the printable patterns.
- Our patterns are made to be adjusted exactly to the morphology of each person. These patterns will suit people from size 34 t
- To easily achieve this moccasins project, we recommend using very soft leather preferably chrome-tanned leather.
- The Tools: a large leather piece, allowing you to make any size of moccasin (average size 40 x 60 cm) , a round awl to make holes in the leather by hand before sewing it, big saddle needles and enough waxed thread to make a pair
- Patterns should be printed in A4 or US letter.
- We are convinced that even people without prior experience in leather work or sewing can complete this project quite easily.
- With practice, a pair can be made in only 2 to 3 hours, but it would usually take about 1 day on the first trial.
Over the course of 2 hours of video, Lougaya clearly and precisely explains how to make your own moccasins with very few simple hand tools.
The great difference with most other moccasins and patterns that you can find on the market is that ours are made to be adjusted exactly to the morphology of each person. Patterns will suit people from size 34 to 48 EU / 3 to 14 US.
Just like a second skin...
Our moccasins are like barefoot or minimalist leather shoes, 100% in leather. In fact, they truly are like a second skin that can be worn on all occasions and on all grounds. If you are looking for natural footwear with high sensory feedback, you're at the right place.
We are convinced that even people without prior experience in leather work, sewing, and shoe making can complete this project quite easily.
When purchasing our tutorials, you will gain instant access to the videos that you will be able to watch and replay as many times as you like.
Along with the videos, you will receive the PDF tutorial as well as the printable patterns.
The video tutorial helps to understand the right gesture, whereas the PDF tutorial highlights important details in large images and written explanations and helps you to keep track of each step in order. Even after your first pair, it is a useful document to remember how to make them without having to watch all the videos again.
With practice, a pair can be made in only 2 to 3 hours, but it would usually take about 1 day on the first trial.
Patterns should be printed in A4 or US letters. If you are not able to print the patterns at home, please send us a request.
The tutorials also cover the topics of choosing leather and tools, making soles, leather conditioner, and even some ideas to make use of leather off-cuts and other projects to apply the techniques that you will have learned.
To make good-looking and comfortable moccasins, you need to find very soft leather that will easily pucker around the toes. Ideally, it should be thick as well (1.8 to 3 mm thick / 4 to 6 oz leather). We know that such leather is not that easy to find, especially when you can't go to a leather shop in person and/or that you are a novice.
Feel free to reach out to us if you need help finding the best quality leather suitable to work with our patterns at email@example.com
Who this course is for:
- Anyone that want to make their own shoes easily
- People that struggle to find shoes in their size in shops
- Those who are interested in barefoot or minimalist shoes and barefoot walking
- People that like making their own clothes, their homemade and DIY useful things
- Leather craftsmen who looking for a new leather project
- Parents who are tired of buying shoes every three month to their children
Making by hand the things that I need has always interested me. I started making my own clothing when I was a teenager. I mostly learned by trial and error and sometimes tried to replicate clothes I liked. Even if it was not always perfectly stitched, I liked that I could make exactly what I wanted and at the right size by fitting it directly on my body. This is how I discovered how satisfying it is to make and wear my own creations. Later on, I had to start working.
I had quit my prestigious design studies in search of something that would be more ethical than working for the industry. This is how I came across the moccasins.
I never thought I would end up working with leather. Probably because I was never really interested in making handbags or any other items commonly made out of leather, and also because all I knew was cold and rigid leather. But when I first came across the moccasins, I instantly knew, "This is it!". After making my first pair, I was delighted. Not only about how comfy and practical they were, but about how pleasant it was to work by hand on this soft, warm,
and natural material.
In Australia, at the end of the year 2015, I trained hard over the first batch of about 100 pairs until I got this feeling that it was good enough for selling. In 2016, I started making these custom-fitted barefoot leather shoes at the local Sunday Market. Since I was in a rural area, I did not have access to big markets. I quickly realized that to make a living out of this, I would need to extend my reach. This is how I launched my Etsy boutique with the first PDF tutorials & patterns.
I also realized that other people were like me, and much preferred investing themselves in learning a new skill like moccasin-making than going to the shopping mall to buy shoes. So I started to teach in person, to small groups of people. In only 1 day, people were able to make their own moccasins from A to Z. All my students, even complete beginners and young teenagers, were able to make them.
By starting to teach, I found it even better to share this precious skill than to make them for others. Grown by the experience of teaching in person, I felt confident enough to start writing and recording my first video tutorials.
In 2018, with the help of my husband (Joachim), we started recording video tutorials. We have now over 9 different tutorials where I teach moccasin-making. Nowadays, we continue to make moccasins for sale online and in-person, and we sell them worldwide. With years of experience in fitting them on all kinds of feet, it allows us to better assist our students when they have questions and troubles.