Disrupt Unconscious Bias and Improve Your Workplace Culture
What you'll learn
- Explore the definitions and origins of unconscious bias
- Deepen awareness about how unconscious bias is challenging
- Recognize the types and forms of bias
- Discover how biases show up in the workplace and in everyday interactions
- Implement best practices and strategies to address and prevent bias
- Continue ongoing efforts through action-planning
- Be ready to consider different perspectives and viewpoints
- Be prepared for note-taking and reflective exercises
- Come forward with an open mind to explore challenging scenarios
Unconscious bias is a widespread phenomenon impacting all organizations in every industry. This issue is top of mind for every workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). If you are a manager you are probably looking for ways to address bias immediately and effectively. If you are an employee at a company, you’re likely wanting to learn more about how to navigate bias or prevent it in your own work. Any student who takes this course will be exposed to the latest concepts of unconscious bias and how to apply it effectively to your own environment, which in turn will impact greater societal change.
As a DEI practitioner, author, and consultant with over 20 years of experience, I share ideas and best practices from my client work with a wide range of organizations. These tools and strategies are effective in addressing bias in a practical and straightforward way. You will see shifts in how you perceive situations and interact with others, as well as a new look at how to reduce bias in workplace processes. In this course you will see how our decisions, behaviors, and communication with others create greater impact.
In this course, you will:
Develop awareness of how unconscious bias is formed
Identify the types and forms of bias
Explore strategies to mitigate and interrupt bias
Gain knowledge about models for responding to instances of bias
Plan for how to recover from situations where bias may occur
In this course you will work on the following activities to help you reflect on unconscious bias in the workplace and develop strategies for detecting and overcoming it:
Scenario observation & analysis
Glossary of types of bias
Bias detection practice
Bias recovery checklist
Partner accountability worksheet
Review of additional resources for further learning
Taking this course, “Disrupt Unconscious Bias and Improve Your Workplace Culture”, is an important step in the journey of creating awareness of bias in our perceptions and interactions with others, as well as within organizational processes. By reducing bias, we can positively impact the workplace - and ultimately transform society overall.
Let’s get started!
Who this course is for:
- Any individual or employee seeking an overview of unconscious bias and practical activities to readily apply their learning to the workplace.
- Entry to mid-level managers focused on leading effectively, increasing awareness of how bias operates within organizations, and how to mitigate it.
- HR leaders looking to support fellow employees with skills, strategies, and tools that can be put into practice immediately.
Farzana Nayani (she/hers) is a recognized Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion specialist, business and strategy coach, and international keynote speaker. She has worked with Fortune 500 corporations, public agencies, higher education institutions, school districts, and non-profit organizations as a consultant and trainer on diversity and inclusion, intercultural communication, supplier diversity, and employee engagement.
Farzana’s advisory work with Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), small business advocacy, and entrepreneurship, and racial equity & inclusion has taken her to engagements across North America, from the White House to Silicon Valley. Farzana’s expertise has been featured in media outlets such as The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, DiversityInc, Parents magazine, NPR, the Washington Post, Marie Claire, and the LA Times. Her book Raising Multiracial Children: Tools for Nurturing Identity in a Racialized World with North Atlantic Books was released in 2020 and distributed by Penguin Random House. Her upcoming book The Power of Employee Resource Groups: How People Create Authentic Change will be released in Spring 2022.