Understanding and developing Emotional Intelligence
What you'll learn
- You will be able to understand and apply the principles of Emotional Development in both personal and professional spheres.
- The knowledge to mentor or coach others towards greater Emotional Intelligence.
- Greater personal insight into the links between thoughts and feelings, and be able to distinguish between them in order to make more informed choices.
- More resilient responses to challenges, stress, pressure and high demand.
- The course does not require learners to have any specific software, just basic computer-operating skills.
- No special materials or prior knowledge necessary - everything is provided.
This engaging course outlines the concept of Emotional Intelligence, explains why it is important for personal and professional development, and describes how to apply the ideas to assess and improve your own confidence and performance by developing your EI.
As the different aspects are explained via our video lectures, each section is supported by downloadable exercises and other resources to help you revise and consolidate the learning.
We all know what intellectual intelligence is, and we also know it can be misleading because that sort of intelligence doesn’t accurately reflect how well someone functions and manages at work or in life.
We also all know of highly intelligent people who don't handle themselves very well; they are not good in social relationships, for example, or that have difficulty communicating.
Just as important as conventional IQ – the sort of intelligence that gets measured in those tests many of us did in school – is Emotional Intelligence.
Emotional Intelligence is a set of aptitudes which determine how well you handle yourself in life, and how well you are able to understand and get on with others.
In an ever-more complex and demanding world, technical expertise – knowing how to do your job – is not enough. We are all experiencing higher demand, more stress, and more fluid working relationships. Now we can all do with being more proactive, engaging with others, and learning how to manage our own energy levels, our relationships, and other people.
The skills of Emotional Intelligence show you how to do these things and how to develop the insight and confidence to handle your own and others' expectations and emotions effectively.
This course features easily learned elements supported by practical exercises, all clearly explained by Barry Winbolt, lecturer and psychotherapist, based on his 30 years' experience of helping people to improve workplace relationships and performance in many different settings and cultures.
In a series of engaging videos, he explains the strengths of Emotional Intelligence and why we should develop them in ourselves and others. He shows you how to make the skills part of your repertoire. He then provides a comprehensive toolkit for creating positive working relationships, and managing yourself, as well as the increasing demands of the workplace.
By the end of this course, you'll have a better understanding of Emotional Intelligence, which will help you become more confident in your decisions and your working relationships. It will place you ahead of the pack; Emotional Intelligence is a key component in effective management and leadership.
Emotional Intelligence is based on a set of learnable skills. It is backed up by a huge body of research which shows that these skills can help you:
- Get on better with others
- Communicate more effectively
- Make better decisions
- Handle stress and pressure
- Motivate yourself
- Reduce anxiety
- Manage others more effectively.
You’ll also learn why EI is now seen as the defining characteristic among successful managers and leaders.
Who this course is for:
- Aimed primarily at managers, aspiring managers and others in a supervisory role, the content is applicable to anyone who wants to understand Emotional Intelligence for personal or professional development
- People who want to improve their career prospects by developing their Emotional Intelligence
- HR and other professionals who want to guide and coach others to improve their performance
- Leaders who want to know how to 'win hearts and minds'
At Skill Boosters we work with leading subject matter experts to design, develop and deliver effective video based training for the workplace. We are passionate about delivering impactful training which helps to build productive, tolerant and inclusive individuals, teams and workplaces and which improves lives and life chances.
Our courses combine video drama, expert analysis, documentary sequences and interactive study to provide flexible, cost-effective training that engages, informs and inspires our learners.
Skill Boosters courses and resources are trusted by many of the world's leading organisations to develop and improve the skills and behaviours of their people.
BARRY WINBOLT MSc. is a psychologist, therapist and coach.
For more than 25 years he has advised people in many cultures on how to
improve their wellbeing and relationships to enhance the quality of their lives. Over the same period he has provided training and coaching for personal and professional development.