Design Thinking in 3 Steps
What you'll learn
- Apply the design thinking framework to solve problems more creatively
- Create prototypes to test your idea early, before making a big investment of time and money
- Understand problems from the customer's perspective
- Guide groups to effectively brainstorm innovative ideas
- Plan and conduct effective design research, including user interviews
- Make and use a storyboard to communicate your design ideas
- Identify your design research objectives
- Make a plan to iterate your idea forward
- A desire to better understand the needs of the customer
- A timer (your phone will work!)
- A notebook, pen or pencil, and highlighter
In this course, you’ll learn design thinking from the people who helped invent it. Designit is a global strategic design firm, and our designers help organizations across the globe learn and adopt a human-centered approach to innovation.
This course is taught by Alan Cooper, Sanskriti Ayyar, and Teresa Brazen, team members from Cooper Professional Education (CPE) — a team at Designit.
Through this interactive course, you’ll learn a different approach to strategic problem solving so that you can create experiences customers love. You’ll practice design thinking on a real-life project and equip yourself with a powerful set of tools to become more collaborative, innovative, and effective.
how to understand the problem from your customer's perspective;
how to effectively brainstorm innovative ideas;
and how to create prototypes to test your new ideas before investing a lot of time and money.
We designed this class for people who’ve heard about design thinking but who don’t know exactly what it is or how it works. If you want to start learning about design thinking while working on a real project that you can add to your portfolio, this is the course for you.
This class is geared to a wide range of professionals, whether you’re a business leader wanting to better understand what the designers at your company do, or a generalist wanting to break out of solving problems in the same old way.
Music used throughout the course: Just Smile by LiQWYD | find on Instagram @liqwyd. Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License.
Who this course is for:
- Individuals who have heard about design thinking but don't know exactly what it is or how it works.
- Those who need to refresh and solidify their understanding of design thinking.
- Business leaders wanting to better understand what the designers at your company do, or how design can help your company achieve their goals
We're a team of educators and designers within Designit that helps organizations across the globe learn and adopt a human-centered approach to innovation.
Our team formed in 2001 as a professional development initiative at Cooper, one of the first interaction design firms.
In 2017, Cooper became part of Designit, a global strategic design firm that specializes in creating high-impact products, services, systems, and spaces that people love. Designit is a part of Wipro, one of the largest technology, consulting, and business companies in the world.
Alan Cooper co-founded Cooper in 1992. He is widely known for his role in humanizing technology through his groundbreaking work in software design.
He is also the author of the books About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design (editions 1-4) and The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High-Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity.
Widely recognized as the “Father of Visual Basic," Alan also created the goal-directed design methodology and invented personas as practical interaction design tools to create high-tech products that delight users' sensibilities.
“The future,” Alan reminds us, “is right in front of us, unobscured by anything other than our inability to recognize it.”