Designing AI Assistants
What you'll learn
- Combine elements of technology, psychology, and language to create human-centric conversations between people and AI
- Articulate the importance of conversation design to a development team
- Implement the design workflow that has become the industry standard for best conversation design
- Craft a detailed persona for your AI Assistant that shines through all your conversations
- Mentalize the conversational context before writing a single piece of dialogue to ensure empathy throughout the experience
- Run sample dialogues to create a solid first draft of a conversational flow
- Validate a conversational flow and make it inclusive through Wizard of Oz testing
- Fine tune dialogue using expert copywriting techniques
- No prior knowledge of conversational AI or conversation design necessary.
Conversation designers are in high demand at enterprises and tech companies. By taking this course, you’ll discover if this is the career for you. You’ll also learn the fundamental principles that will guide you throughout your career in conversation design.
This course presents a comprehensive introduction to the field of conversation design. It shares best practices for designing human-centric conversations for AI assistants, whether they be chatbots or voice assistants.
You will also learn the fundamentals of Conversation Design Institute’s workflow, which is used by thousands of conversation designers around the world. Together, these designers create assistants that are interacting with millions of people every day.
The CDI workflow is voice first and technology agnostic. But what do we mean by that?
It means that the principles in this course can be used to create both chatbots and voice assistants. That you can apply these techniques to every type of conversational technology. You can use these principles to create a fun voice experience for a smart speaker, as well as creating a complex customer service case for an enterprise.
Some of the things you’ll learn in this course:
The historical context which is key to understanding conversation design’s place in the world of technology
What conversation design really is, and how businesses are already harnessing its power
Why the demand for conversation designers will only continue to grow in the coming years as more companies automate more conversations
The psychology of conversations, and why conversation design is so vital to creating meaningful interactions between humans and AI
CDI’s industry-recognized workflow that will guide you through every conversation you design going forward
How to consistently design inclusive, human-centric conversations
Copywriting techniques that take conversations from good to superb
How to design conversations with a well crafted and consistent persona
How to design for desired behavior
Who this course is for:
- This course is appropriate for people just discovering conversation design, as well as those already familiar with it who want to learn Conversation Design Institute’s internationally recognized workflow. If you are just starting out in the field, this course will give you the background and the tools you need to get started designing conversations for AI assistants the right way. For those who already have some knowledge, this course will reinforce best practices and show you the workflow that designers at enterprises around the world have accepted as the standard for best conversation design.
Hans van Dam is the co-founder and CEO of Conversation Design Institute. With his enthusiasm for the field, he is a regular keynote speaker, hosts a conversation design podcast, and often gives lectures at universities. In 2020 he was recognized as one of the most influential people in voice by Voicebot.
Passionate about advancing trust and communication between people and AI, he sees the recognition, development, and promotion of conversation design as a way to advance and support this new field.
With a background in copywriting, technology, and customer service, Hans knows how to unlock the potential of conversational AI.