Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis - Concepts & Practice
What you'll learn
- Why do we prepare DFMEA?
- What are failure modes in mechanical design and how do we define them ?
- What are root causes & mechanisms? how to find root causes for failure modes ?
- What is Severity, Occurence and Detection of Failure ?
- Grading of Severity , Occurrence and Detection ratings
- What is Boundary or B diagram ? How to develop it with examples
- What is Parameter Diagram or P diagram ? How to develop it with examples
- Examples with simple mechanical products
- DFMEA process walk-through and exercises
- Course is best understood with a basic prior understanding of mechanical design engineering as it is primarily directed towards design engineers already designing systems
Design Failure Mode Effect and Analysis (DFMEA) is a very important tool for the design engineer to develop designs which are reliable and safe.
This course will take you through the concepts and process of developing a DFMEA.
What the course will cover?
Need for DFMEA
Defining failure modes
Cause and Root cause analysis using Fishbone diagrams
Evaluation of Risk - Severity, Occurence and Detection
What is Design prevention control and Design detection control / Design verification
Grading of severity, occurence and detection
The systematic process of DFMEA
What is B diagram and how to prepare B diagram with multiple examples
What is P diagram and how to prepare P diagram with multiple examples
DFMEA walkthrough of a Bicycle
Exercises for learning by doing.
The course is well suited for Mechanical design engineers or aspiring students who want to learn how to design effectively and consider possible failure modes.
The class focusses on the concepts and underlying reasoning rather than a descriptive approach .
Developing a good DFMEA is critical for complex system engineering work and hence its a key skill to develop for career growth and innovation.
Who this course is for:
- Mechanical design engineers who are into product development
- Students aspiring to be mechanical design engineers
Mufaddal Rasheed is a mechanical design engineer and an inventor experienced in a role in Automotive R&D designing complete Chassis systems from Concept to production for SUV projects in Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd for 7 years . Part of a team which delivered a innovative modular chassis platform for 5 vehicles.
With knowledge of the complete product development process and the details of engineering systems, he brings to the table a combination of analytical and creative skills.
Currently working on multiple projects of his own towards becoming a serial inventor and educator in the area of Design engineering.
He is passionate about mechanical design and innovation and writes regularly on Quora with a Top writer badge.
Core belief is that engineering is a lifelong learning process and for a designer it is "the more you know the better you design".
Building a comprehensive knowledge system for mechanical design engineers and aspirants which would prepare an individual for engineering innovation at Mechademic
The Courses are focused on Practical aspects of Automotive and General Mechanical design engineering Targeted purely towards product development grounded in theory.
What students say about the courses according to 600+ sample surveys
97 % say they are learning valuable information
96 % say the explanation of concepts is clear
99 % say the instructor is knowledgeable in the subject