Deploy GIS Map and GPS to iOS App in Objective C and Xcode 7
- No programming experience needed
- Hardware: An Intel-based Mac with OS Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.4) or higher is required
(course updated on: 2016-Jun-17: add extra contents; 2016-Jun-11: add extra contents;)
“The world we live is full of coordinates and I love it!" - Alfred Lam, the course instructor.
“The essence of creating a beautiful map is balance!" - Alfred Lam, the course instructor.
This is an entry-level course teaching how to add GIS maps to iOS Apps. GIS stands for Geographic Information System. It is composed of hardware, software, people, environment, and data. Therefore, students with different backgrounds can learn and use GIS. The purpose of this course is to convey a concept to students that mobile GIS app creation is not difficult. You are on the right place and you can spend your minimum time to handle it.
If you are new to using GIS maps in mobile app development, this course is the right place for you to start. The ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS has been developed by ESRI, which is so far the biggest vendor of GIS systems and applications in the world. Some developers may ask why do we bother to use GIS maps as we already have Google map. My answer is that the Google map is great for you to identify your locations. But its data, functionality, and flexibility are far from enough if you want to create a versatile app with various basemaps, to tell a story, to add your own map features, or to perform an analysis to your clients with a map. ArcGIS, on the other hand, is the most comprehensive and advanced GIS in the world and it is capable of performing all these tasks for you.
After completing this course and the exercises, you will be able to:
• add GIS basemap to iOS app;
• add ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS to project manually or in cocoapods;
• create apps with various basemaps;
• enrich GIS map with selected feature layers by utilizing ESRI resources;
• add additional features to the map;
Create a webMap at ArcGIS Online;
Open a webMap in iOS app;
Turn on/off a webmap feature layer;
Display GPS on map;
Add a callout and set animation;
Display GPS coordinates in a callout;
Add a tailor-made GPS button to turn on/off GPS;
- Set GPS AutoPan Default mode;
Who this course is for:
- GIS users
- Anyone who are interested to make GIS maps in iOS apps
- 00:57Lecture 1: Course Introduction
- 04:16Lecture 2: Signup ArcGIS Developers Account
- 01:52Lecture 3: Demo Project Setup
- 12:35Lecture 6: Add SDK in Cocoapods
- 02:15Lecture 7: Enable Map Continuously
- 01:42Lecture 8: Pinch Rotating a Map
- 03:33Lecture 9: Zoom to an Envelope
“The world we live is full of coordinates and I love it!" - Alfred Lam
“The essence of creating a beautiful map is balance!" - Alfred Lam
I am going to dedicate some of my time to be a GIS instrcutor here and teaching is fun. It is also great to let many mobile and web developers to know and use ESRI technology which is so far the best and the most comprehensive GIS system. The part I am giving lectures is even only a very small fraction of the whole ArcGIS system.Please find all my courses and special offers at my profile website.
Coding is boundless. Like many other teachers, I’d like to share my knowledge and experiences here. As students are from all levels, I try not to make the code complicated. Maybe sometimes my pace is a bit slower, but I tried to make the code effective in a straightforward and simplest way. So that students can understand the mechanism of the code easily.