Concentration and Focus: The Principles of Deep Work
- Familiarity with "Deep Work" is a plus.
- Think about it: what is one specific area of your work or personal life that would benefit from you being more productive?
Everybody wants to get more done, but we go about it the wrong way.
We think getting more done requires more time. We will put in 80 hours of work a week, getting an abysmal return on investment for the last 20 - 30 hours. We can't elbow grease our way through problems by throwing time at them.
We don't need more time to work. We need to change how we work.
This class, based on Dr. Cal Newport's Deep Work principles, provides the concepts to do just that. Deep Work is all about cutting out the superfluous, unnecessary tasks in our professional and personal life. It will help you focus in on the things you do that provide the most value - to the market, and to your own life.
This is a short primer course with the videos you need to get the basics, and follow up resources if you are curious exploring this deeper.
Don't waste your life working. Work smarter, and provide more value to the world, with Deep Work.
Who this course is for:
- College students
- Young professionals
- Anyone who feels overworked and underproductive.
- 05:15Deep Work vs. Shallow Work
- 06:17Newport's Four Styles of Deep Work
- 1 questionNewport's Four Styles
- 04:04Christensen's Four Aspects of Discipline
- 02:11The Grand Gesture
- 03:49The Perks of Laziness
- 19:26[Bonus Content] Apply Deep Work to Learning New Skills
I'm that funky Southern guy who speaks Chinese, works at a startup in Boulder, and wants to change the world.
I have over a decade's experience in public speaking: theatre, improv, film acting, motivational speaking, business pitching, trainings, and workshops. I'm also a writer / blogger / idea guy / video editor / amateur cook / not-so-amateur hiker.
I have helped thousand of students and teachers offline through my current work - and now I'm bringing it to you.