In most of my classes, I mention adding plants to your space. Now, plants are very pretty and have a high decorative value but what I wish to convey in this class is that plants ARE ALSO highly important for our health and wellbeing, so much so that the lack of plants in our environment is correlated with disease and violence.
This class is separated into two main chapters:
1. Benefits of Plants on our Productivity, Health and Wellbeing
In this section of the class, I go into scientific findings regarding the impact of nature on people, and I hope that by the end of it you will see the time you spend in nature as a low cost, high impact form of self-care.
Having plants in our neighbourhoods and our homes, or spending time in nature offers great benefits to:
- our mental health
- our physical health
- our work performance
- our relationships
- our physical recovery
I am not a doctor, and this section of the class is by no means medical advice. I am simply sharing scientific knowledge that I believe will have a massive impact on the quality of your living. Make sure to do your own research and talk to your doctor before making any important life decisions.
2. How to decorate with plants
Not everyone is able to take regular walks in nature or visit parks, which is why it's worth exploring the possibility of bringing more plants in your home. Plants clean the air, regulate humidity levels in our homes, regulate our moods, speed our recovery in times of sickens, and there is even some scientific evidence showing that plants make us more empathetic towards each other.
The class section covers three topics:
1. Understanding the needs of the plant, your needs and the requirements of the space. You want to bring home plants that you can care for and that find in your space a hospitable environment.
2. Flower pots are of utmost importance in styling so understanding their limitations as well as the different types is important.
3. Finally we will look at composition types and overall aesthetic to determine our final look.
The point of this class is twofold:
1. for you to understand that we are highly interdependent with nature and being surrounded by nature is proven by numerous science papers to be good for our overall health
2. I'd like to smooth out any reservations you might have about bringing plants indoor and offer some advice about how to decorate with them in a way that will make your home look more beautiful and supportive of your overall design intention.
Thank you so much for taking this class, and let’s get started.