Database Programming with Python
What you'll learn
- Install and configure the tools required for working with Python and databases including development tools, drivers, and modules
- Design a database within SQLite, MySQL, and SQL Server
- Normalize a database including establishing keys and relationships
- Use an RDBMS to manually add data to a database
- Use the Structured Query Language (SQL) to write create, retrieve, update, and delete (CRUD) statements
- Use Eclipse and Python to connect to a database and perform CRUD operations
- Build out a full-functioning Help Desk application using Python and SQLite
- You should be able to use a PC at a beginner level
- Have access to an Internet connection to download necessary software applications
- Exercise files and support PowerPoint presentations are provided as additional resources at the beginning of each lecture.
It's not often that you get to use a language as powerful and as versatile as Python. Python is a great language for writing web applications, cross-platform desktop applications, Artificial Intelligence software, shell scripts, perform scientific computation, games, and even connect to and work with a myriad of relational and document-oriented database solutions. This course gets you up and running with using Python to program against relational and document-oriented databases such as SQLite, MySQL, SQL Server, and MongoDB. It teaches you the basic concepts of relational data, databases, tables, SQL, and walks you through the code required to connect to these databases and perform CRUD (create, retrieve, update, and delete) operations within them using Python. When you're finished with this course, you'll have a solid foundation to go out and start building your own database applications using Python.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner to intermediate Python developers curious about integrating databases into their workflows.
- This course is not intended for experienced Python developers already familiar with relational and object-oriented database development with Python.
My name is Zak Ruvalcaba and I have been researching, designing, and developing for the Web since 1995. I specialize in web and mobile web site and application development focusing on responsive user interface design, user experience, and usable presentation. I hold a Bachelor's degree from San Diego State University and a Master of Science in Instructional Technology from National University in San Diego.
My skill set includes numerous front-end and back-end authoring, scripting, and programming languages, technologies, and tools. Many of which I’ve written about or currently teach at the community college level. I am a Microsoft Certified Application Developer for .NET (MCAD) and a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer for .NET (MCSD).
I have been teaching at the community college level for over 19 years at several community colleges including the San Diego Community College District, Mt. San Jacinto, and Palomar College. That experience has landed me the position of Associate Professor for the Front-End Web Developer Certificate Program at the San Diego Community College District's Continuing Education North City campus. Aside from my teaching duties I am also a Web Application Developer at MiraCosta College.