Database Normalization Simplified
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 2 articles
- 11 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Know the reasons why a relational database is organized into many separate tables.
- Gain confidence in understanding formal database normalization rules.
- Be able to express and communication database design concepts with others.
- Be prepared to answer interview questions.
- Determine whether a database table is a good design.
- Restructure spreadsheet like data into good database form.
Welcome to Database Normalization Simplified. My goal is to help take the mystery out of database normalization and explain to you the definitions in simple to use English!
By the time you have completed the course, you will have a thorough understanding of the three normal forms, be able to use them to answer interview questions, take an exam or certification, or design a database.
Database normalization can be really abstract. Before we get into some of the definitions, let's look at a practical view.
You may wonder what's all the fuss about database normalization. Let me show you some good reasons you'll want to understand it.
The three normal forms are guide lines we can used to help use determine how to design tables. The help use know whether columns should be include in a table or should be separated. The forms build upon one another. In order for a table to be in the second form, if must first meet the criteria for the first.
For those that are impatient check out the our Five Minute Guide to Database Normalization within the downloadable resources.
- Interest in a class hyper-focused on database normalization -- nothing else!
- Appreciate basic database concepts such as knowing about columns, rows, and tables.
- No prior knowledge of MySQL, SQLServer, PostgreSQL or Oracle is required!
This course is perfect if you're running low on time, and need to cram for a test or certification. Its singular purpose is to teach you database normalization.
In this Course you will Learn to:
Appreciate and design around data modification anomalies.
Identify a properly formed database table.
Answer common interview questions related to normalization
Spot a poorly designed table.
Communicate with others about table design.
Finally understand those confounding normalization rules!
Nothing is worse than
Being excited to learn something new but not knowing where to start.
Wasting time learning the wrong features.
Being overwhelmed with options and not know which to use.
Knowledge - Knowing how to quickly understand table relationships to take your SQL to the next level.
Confidence - Feeling good that you’re on the right track.
Accomplishment - Having a sense of accomplishment that you've learned something most cannot.
Fun - Having fun learning databases!
By the time you’ve completed this course you’ll have an appreciation of database normalization, overcome your fear of normal form definitions, and make sense of the the most used database normal forms.
- Students baffled by their professor's database normalization explanations
- DBAs seeking common sense definitions of database normal forms.
- Anyone studying MySQL, Oracle, or SQL Server wanting to become a better database designer.
- People preparing for SQL related job interviews.
- Anyone looking to take a class whose singular purpose is to teach you database normalization
- Anyone who doesn't have time to weed through dense textbooks trying to sort out academic explanations.