Succeed As A Data Science Writer On Medium
What you'll learn
- How to create an account on Medium, and join the partner program.
- How to write articles that will share your knowledge, and earn side-income.
- How to use the Medium editor, source images, structure an article, choose headings, etc.
- How to share code, include references to other social media, cross-reference other articles, etc.
- How to use Medium as a community builder.
- How to use Medium as a resource bank.
- How to use Medium as a lead generator.
- No prerequisites. This course will help you create a Medium user account - if you do not already have one.
This course provides instruction and guidance on how data scientists plus other data and tech professionals can build and advance their career as a writer on Medium. This course is primarily aimed towards those who aspire to write for Medium. Those who already write for Medium will also find valuable advice and information here. If you are looking to build or expand your writing via other platforms, this course will also be valuable for you.
Expect in-depth lessons on the following topics:
- Finding new topics & article ideas.
- How to make an account at Medium.
- How to join the partner program which will help you earn an income from your articles.
- How to find your voice & how to find your vision (workbook included).
- How to find and make images for your articles.
- An in-depth review of the Medium editor.
- How to share code.
- How to use Medium as a useful resource bank.
As I explain in the introductory video:
"Welcome to class... I've designed this class specifically for folks working in data science and other tech professions. If you're working in another field I believe you will get a lot from this course as well. Despite not having met yet, I believe you have already written your first article. My name is Adam Ross Nelson. I am a data scientist and I am a frequent author on Medium. This video will help you find and plan your first article.
As I said, a moment ago, the goal of this video is to help you find your first article. Which you have probably already written, by the way. To do this, we will use your existing social media assets... I'm going to show how you can find your most popular posts. Your most popular posts will be your first Medium article. Your existing social probably already contains a high proportion of the content you'll need for that article...
By the way, if you've already published and written your first article, this video will help you find the topic and content for your next article. The reason I send folks to their existing social media for article content is quite strategic. Social media probably represents your lane... In gist, your lane are your topics that you're known for... The vast majority of the time it is important to stay in your lane. The next reason is... because your existing social media already has data related to what readers what to engage with and read."
Who this course is for:
- Data scientists, and other data professionals who are looking to be a writer at Medium.
Dr. Adam Ross Nelson is a Data Scientist. Adam's interests include teaching and research. He enjoys helping professionals make mid or late career transitions into data science.
Currently based in Washington DC Adam hopes that his Udemy courses will help him connect with current and aspiring data professionals around the world. He also hopes these courses will help data professionals connect with each other.
Besides producing courses for Udemy, Adam is also a frequent contributor to a variety of online publications at Medium.
Before becoming a data scientist, Adam worked mostly in education. He began his teaching career as a teacher of English as a foreign language in Budapest, Hungary. Adam has also taught at major universities including Duke University, The University of Wisconsin - Madison, The University of Louisville, Marquette University, and North Carolina Wesleyan University.