Data Science Project Planning
What you'll learn
- Fundamental concepts underlying core planning activities that are critical for a data science project's success.
- PLEASE NOTE: This course will not cover technical topics like programming , statistics and algorithms.
- Willingness to look beyond the technical aspects and learn about the crucial planning activities involved in a data science project.
- Familiarity with high school level mathematics
Success of any project depends highly on how well it has been planned. Data science projects are no exception.
Large number of data science projects in industrial settings fail to meet the expectations due to lack of proper planning at their inception stage.
This course will provide a overview of core planning activities that are critical to the success of any data science project.
We will discuss the concepts underlying - Business Problem Definition; Data Science Problem Definition; Situation Assessment; Scheduling Tasks and Deliveries.
The concepts learned will help the students in:
A) Framing the business problem
B) Getting buy-in from the stakeholders
C) Identifying appropriate data science solution that can solve the business problem
D) Defining success criteria and metrics to evaluate the key project deliverables viz; models, data flow pipeline and documentation.
E) Assessing the prevailing situation impacting the project. For e.g. availability of data and resources; risks; estimated costs and perceived benefits.
F) Preparing delivery schedules that enable early and continuously incremental valuable actionable insights to the customers
G) Understanding the desired team attributes and communication needs
Who this course is for:
- Managers or Leads who are going to plan their first data science project in a real life business environment
- Members of a data science team who want to build awareness about crucial planning activities required for making their project successful
- Senior Executives requiring a bird’s eye view of activities involved in planning a data science project
Gopinath Ramakrishnan , a Data Science & Machine Learning enthusiast has worked extensively on collection and analysis of data from software projects to create performance baselines for continuous improvement in several IT services and product organizations. He also developed software reliability and defect prediction models.
Gopinath conducted several training and consulting sessions on Software Metrics and Models which helped in establishing data-driven project management culture in the organizations he worked for .
Gopinath is also an Agile Coach & Trainer and has provided several training and consulting services in this area also.
He has more than 20 years of experience in IT industry. His expertise is backed up by a strong background and hands-on work in diverse areas like software development, project management, customer support, R & D , technical sales and academic research.
Gopinath is a Professional Member of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) . He has earned Advanced Communicator – Bronze certification from Toastmasters International.
Educational Qualifications : Ph.D & M.Tech (Mech.), IIT Madras, India
Skill set - Statistics, Machine Learning , Deep Learning, Python, R, Agile Methodologies