Data Project Fundamentals: Skills and Techniques for Success
What you'll learn
- Gain a comprehensive overview of the skills, thought processes and complexities that accompany a data-related task or project
- Discover the benefits of data profiling and unit testing
- Learn the techniques, challenges and approaches undertaken in each of the logical stages of a data project
- Learn the fundamentals of Structured Query Language with easy-to-follow examples and exercises
- Learn how applying the techniques in each phase of a data project leads to more robust, successful and maintainable solutions!
- Work with the course data using Jupyter Notebooks to back up the course concepts
- Appreciate the fundamentals of data modelling including Dimensional Modelling and Entity Relationship Diagrams
- An understanding of 2-dimensional data structures and basic programming constructs, ideally some python, but this isn't essential
- A willingness to challenge existing thought processes and ways of working!
This course aims to highlight the key skills that will make you stand out as a rounded Data Professional. You will cover the techniques, challenges and approaches undertaken in each of the logical stages of a data project. You will cover Data Profiling; Data Mapping and Transformation; Development; Data Modelling; Data Solution Design; Software Design; Unit Testing and Troubleshooting. The course aims to follow the natural life-cycle of a project.
These topics will be demonstrated by a mixture of lectures, screencasts, quizzes and exercises. Practical retail data will bring it all to life with Python and Jupyter Notebooks used to illustrate the techniques. Although Jupyter notebooks are used, a running them in the course is that it is not important how certain techniques are done, but that these techniques are understood and why they form a key part of the process. So although the hands-on sections will definitely enhance the course experience they are not a prerequisite, and could also be tackled using alternative software.
Ultimately this course aims to fill the gaps between courses focused on specific programming, data analysis skills or data modelling skills. It should allow you to appreciate but also critically question your current data environment. I believe this course offers something different and will make you stand back and think before heading full-steam into a data-related task. This more complete understanding of Data Projects will make you a better, more rounded Data Professional. Enjoy!
Who this course is for:
- Professionals in the early stages of a data career as a data engineer, data scientist or data analyst
- Business leaders, business analysts and project managers looking for a fuller, more rounded appreciation of data projects
- Software Engineers looking to gain an end-to-end overview of the life-cycle of a data project
Jeremy is a seasoned Data professional with deep experience across the full software development life cycle. His background includes leading consultancy projects for software companies and working as a specialist data consultant through his own company, Black Diamond Consulting.
Through this wealth of experience, he has gained knowledge of multiple industry sectors including Retail, Finance, Leisure, Pharmaceutical and Government and the challenges data can bring in each.
His skills encompass solution design, data modelling, development, testing and troubleshooting as well as offering advice and guidance, acting as a mentor and leading by example.
Specific technical skills include SAS, SQL in multiple environments, AWS and Python as well as Data Warehousing and Data Solutions both on premise and in the cloud.
He is very happy to be sharing his wide-ranging skillset on the Udemy platform!
His two other passions are skiing, which he picked up whilst working in Switzerland, and playing the French Horn in orchestras, something he's done from an early age!