Dance for Shy Kids
What you'll learn
- Beginner-friendly ballet, jazz, hip-hop, creative movement
- Emotional coping mechanisms for feeling overwhelmingly shy
- Confidence-building movements
- Rhythm and counting for dancers
- Body awareness, coordination and stretching
- Dance moves, concepts, language & common dance class exercises
- All are welcome in this course! It is for all bodies and experience levels.
Does your kid love to move & dance, but feel too shy, overwhelmed, or anxious to join a group dance class just yet?
This foundational dance class in ballet, jazz, hip-hop and creative movement, uses principles of dance & movement therapy to encourage participation for kids who are feeling shy in dance class, and (optionally) prepare them for group dance class.
Participants get to:
* Experience the joy & challenge of dance, on their own terms
* Learn dance moves, concepts, terminology and techniques & build body awareness, coordination, strength and flexibility
* Embody emotional management techniques to cope with feeling shy (and more!)
* Build confidence
With more familiarity of what goes on in dance class, kids will have less overwhelming factors to cope with on their first day of group dance class! They will also benefit from emotional coping techniques in this course to be better prepared to handle the nerves of social situations; such as dance class and otherwise.
The course can also be used on its own as introduction and practice for foundational dance techniques and emotional growth through movement.
This course consists of 3 dance classes, that kids can repeat to learn and practice dance exercises. Each class is broken down into exercises in: ballet, stretches, dance floor, emotions in movement, and grooving & improv! The recommended format is to have kids practice Class #1 1-2 times a week for 5-6 weeks, then have them move on to Class #2, and then Class #3.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for kids who love to move and dance! It is specially catered to kids who are feeling too shy or overwhelmed to join a dance group.
- Recommended ages: 2-12 (the course account must be managed by a parent or guardian)
Emily Liss has 25 years of dance training in ballet, jazz, contemporary, lyrical, hip hop, acrobatics, tap and musical theatre. As a child, she competed in these dance styles. As an adult, she joined dance troupes in Montreal and performed in these styles, and took weekly drop-in classes in Montreal and Vancouver. More recently Emily has studied dance & movement therapy, creative movement and ecstatic dance; free expression and personal interpretation through movement. Emily has 7 years of experience teaching dance to children.
Emily’s dance programs combine the discipline and structure of dance styles like ballet and jazz, with the attunement to one’s body and self-expression of creative movement and dance & movement therapy. Her programs allow students to challenge themselves and accomplish new physical feats, while learning to build awareness and expression of themselves.