Culvert Design using HY-8
- A windows PC, with administrative rights to install HY-8
- A letter size printer for the class exercises
This course will guide you through using HY-8 to analyze culverts. You'll watch short demonstration videos and then apply what you've learned to class exercises, and then check you work. Focus is on applying the software to real problems - does not delve deeply into hydraulics, hydrology, erosion control, fish passage, or construction.
Who this course is for:
- Conservation Professionals and junior engineers
- 15:30Basics, Terms, Definitions and Flow Types
- 328 pagesReading: HDS-5 Hydraulic Design of Highway Culverts
- 7 questionsUnderstanding the basics
- 06:48Introduction to Fish Passage (AOP)
- 14 pagesReading: Vermont Stream Crossing Handbook
- 234 pagesReading: HEC-26 Culvert Design for Aquatic Organism Passage
- 10:07HY-8 User Interface
- 4 questionsExploring HY-8
Tim is a NY State Registered Professional Engineer with a diverse background in agricultural conservation, civil/site design, railway design, aviation design, and highway design. He is currently the State Engineer for the New York State Soil and Water Conservation Committee housed at the NY State Department of Agriculture and Markets, where he is dedicated to improving the planning, design, and construction of conservation practices across New York State.