Creative Piano for the Beginner!
What you'll learn
- Gives students a start on learning the piano!
- Sheet music provided (over 30 downloadable resources)!
- Learn chords: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim
- Play along & improvise (accompaniment track) to "Jingle Bells"
- Learn various ways to play, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"
- Learn finger exercises and C major scale!
- Gain tools to write a song or improvise in the key of C
- Learn how to double the bass in the left hand to get a full sounding chord!
- Learn where everything is located on the piano
- Piano or keyboard
- 5-10 minutes of daily practice will be helpful to you!
- Do not need previous experience!
Section goal: basics of technique, rhythm basics of reading music, especially CDEFG, sharps and flats, where everything is located on the piano, give a foundation for reading and being creative at the piano!
Basics of technique
Black/white keys/high low
Treble and bass clef
Sharps and flats
Keyboard geography – ABCDEFG (repeats)
Basics of rhythms – quarter, half note, and whole note
Learn C – D - E – F - G for the right hand
Learn CDEFG on paper
Section goal: Learn Jingle Bells (right hand) and play along!
See how “Jingle Bells” is played including an introduction!
Look at sheet music to “Jingle Bells” including an introduction
See how “Jingle Bells” is played on the piano (another option) – this one is good to play along!
Sheet music to “Jingle Bells” (including the introduction)
Listen to the “Jingle Bells” play along!
Accompaniment track provided to play along and be creative!
Play along with “Jingle Bells” if you would like!
Kathryn plays “Jingle Bells”
Sheet music includes: 7 different ways to play "Jingle Bells"
Section goal: learn finger exercises and left hand chords C major and G7
Play through RH (right hand) finger exercise
Sheet music to RH finger exercise
Learning left hand chords C major and G7
Learn left hand chord exercise
Sheet music to finger exercises
Section goal: C major scale for the right hand
“Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” both hands including chords!
C major scale (fingering 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5)
Sheet music to C major scale (going up and down)
Eighth notes – (takes two eighth notes to equal a quarter note)!
"Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" including RH scales
Sheet music to Twinkle
LH (left hand) chords to Twinkle
Sheet music to LH chords to Twinkle
Piano both hands to Twinkle (looking at the piano or keyboard)
Sheet music to both hands (various ways to play the song)
Section: Tools to improvise, to learn easy chords, and tools to write a song in the key of C!
Major chords = sound happy
Minor chords = sound sad
Learning chords in C major (looking at the piano or keyboard)
C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, B dim C major
C major – CEG
D minor (also written Dm) – DFA
E minor (also written Em) – EGB
F major – FAC
G major – GBD
A minor – ACE
B diminished (also written Bdim) – BDF
How to double a bass in a song! (Use 2 of the same note)!
Tools to write a song in C major (C major, F major, and G7)
Side note: The key of C means that there are no sharps or flats!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner piano students!
- Students wanting to learn a traditional approach to piano with creativity!
- Beginner pianists interested in learning easier chords!
- Beginner pianists wanting to learn "Jingle Bells" (right hand) & "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"
- Beginner piano students wanting to learn a bit of improvisation!
Kathryn Carpenter, M.A., piano and vocal instructor, has been teaching since 2006. What a blessing and privilege it is to teach music to students of all ages a variety of forms of music, as well as a love for music! Kathryn's educational background includes a B.A. in music business with a vocal performance minor, and a M.A. in music, studying jazz piano. Kathryn's piano teaching experience includes teaching traditional piano, classical music, improvisation on hymns, jazz standards, and other popular forms, as well as chords and theory. Her vocal teaching experience includes teaching classical voice, jazz, gospel, and music for children. Growing up in a musical family, Kathryn's family, the Georges, ministered through music in various churches. Kathryn enjoys arranging, recording, and writing written music for her students and for others!