Songwriting: Creative Lyric Writing Approaches
- A journal, a pen & headphones
- No prior knowledge is necessary as this course is aimed at beginners through to experienced songwriters
Welcome to 'Songwriting: Creative Lyric Writing Approaches', a free course developed by AMSOnline, the online degree platform for The Academy of Music & Sound. Before you get started on the materials, please take a few minutes to read through the information within this Introduction section in order to understand who & what this course is intended for, how to navigate through the course and to meet your Tutor and The Academy.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for beginners through to experienced songwriters; anyone who wishes to invigorate or reinvigorate their lyrical output. This course aims to equip you with a number of writing techniques and creative tools that will get you inspired and committed to your writing aspirations.
What will you learn?
The syllabus for this course is set out over four weeks, with each week focusing on different areas of lyric writing. Each week provides helpful, practical, creative conversations and activities in order to help you grow as a songwriter and communicator. Here is a breakdown of the topics covered within the next four weeks:
Week 1 - 'Show, Don't Tell' - Journalling & Sensory Writing
Week 2 - 'Collecting Inspiration' - Art as Theft & Mining
Week 3 - 'Storytelling' - Narrative & Metaphor Creatio
Week 4 - 'Keeping it Real' - Prosody & Finishing a Song
- Any songwriter who wishes to invigorate or reinvigorate their lyrical output
- Songwriters who are stuck with writers block
- Songwriters who have not had academic experience but wish to learn more about the craft without committing to a full time course
- Beginner songwriters looking for ways in which to approach writing lyrics
- Welcome to Creative Lyric Writing Approaches00:50
- Meet your Tutor00:42
- Week 1: Introduction00:13
- Mission Statement00:49
- Journalling - Extra00:25
- Week 1: Interview Introduction00:21
- Week 1 Interview: Sanchia Hylton-Smith18:02
- Week 1: Activities02:25
- Week 1: Summary01:11
- Guided Writing Podcast Information00:25
- Guided Writing Guidance00:52
- Week 1: Guided Writing06:30
- Week 2: Collecting Inspiraiton00:20
- Week 2: Introduction01:53
- Week 2: Interview Introduction00:32
- Week 2 Interview: Davin Michael Stedman17:57
- Week 2: Activities02:37
- Week 2: Summary00:36
- Week 2: Guided Writing11:14
- Week 3: Storytelling00:19
- Week 3: Introduction01:27
- Week 3: Interview Introduction00:33
- Week 3 Interview - David Heathfield22:01
- Week 3: Activities06:31
- Week 3: Summary01:07
- Week 3: Guided Writing10:57
- Week 4: Finishing a Song00:13
- Week 4: Introduction01:09
- Week 4: Interview Introduction00:17
- Week 4 Interview: Dan Donnelly19:59
- Week 4: Summary01:35
- Week 4: Guided Audio Information00:22
- Week 4: Guided Writing10:47
- Course Complete00:40
The Academy of Music & Sound is a network of music colleges based around the UK, including a specialised online learning platform, AMSOnline, which delivers Foundation Degree, BA (Hons) and Masters level qualifications.
The Academy delivers world-class music education from dedicated and professional musicians. Each course is designed to train you to be a successful, entrepreneurial, independent musician alongside studying your chosen discipline.
AMSOnline is an extension of what is taught on campus, allowing students to achieve a degree whilst being able to continue with the various commitments in life which may restrict you from attending a regular classroom.