Vegetable Gardening: How to Grow Healthy, Fresh Food at Home
What you'll learn
- Grow delicious and healthy vegetables in any size garden. Garden design, soil preparation, plant selection, pest and disease control, and harvesting are covered step by step and in detail. Includes Master Gardener Tips useful for both beginning and more advanced gardeners.
- The course requires no materials or previous knowledge. Materials and tools needed to plant a garden will be described in the course.
This is a step by step course that takes you through the process of creating an edible garden for any size garden: apartment or condominium balconies or patios, small or large backyards, or a plot in a community garden.
The course provides specific strategies for:
- Designing your garden
- Plant selection and installation
- Soil preparation and feritlizer use
- Pest and disease control
- Harvest and storage
- Container gardening
- Raised bed gardens
- Fruit trees and berries
- Organic gardening practices
In addition, supplemental materials are provided:
- Downloadable pdf handouts
- Links to 'how to' videos
- Links to websites supplying additional in depth information.
The approximately 3 hour course consists of 37 lectures each on a specific topic to facilitate ease of finding information.
The lectures are grouped into 8 sections: Introduction, Let's Get Started, Garden Design and Planning, Soil Preparation, Choosing Plants, Planting, Maintenance, and Harvest.
Upon completing the course you will be able to:
- Experience the joy of growing and eating delicious food that you grew yourself.
- Have the knowledge to grow food in a healthy and safe manner.
- Have a productive and bountiful fruit and veggie garden right outside your kitchen door!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for new gardeners who need to know the detailed steps to creating an edible garden. It is also for experienced gardeners who want to expand their knowledge of soil, plant selection, pest and disease control. Gardeners of all skill levels will benefit from the 'Master Gardener Tips' and resources including printable handouts and links to 'how to' videos.
Meet Master Gardener Teena Spindler, a home and community gardening enthusiast from Southern California.
In 2012, Teena was named a Home Depot/Scotts Miracle Gro Gardeniere, which has enabled her to share her love of gardening through YouTube videos highlighting fun, easy projects anyone can do in their backyard.
Teena's blog, Thyme to Grow, hopes to inspire and teach home gardeners to create amazing outdoor spaces that they love.
Teena became a Master Gardener through the University of California almost 10 years ago and is currently the Master Gardener Chair of the Orange County Great Park's Farm & Food Lab where she teaches gardening enthusiasts of all ages how to grow.
As a master gardener, Teena volunteers weekly at Centennial Farm and consults with schools on creating educational gardens. She is also a master composter, and regularly delivers talks on composting, edibles, California native plants, and other popular gardening topics to gardening clubs and conferences.