Create Your Own Character in Blender
- Download and install the free 3D software called Blender from Blender.org
In this course we create a simple character in 3D. We quickly and easily apply a rig for easy animation.
We begin by setting up some background images to use as a reference.
This course involves modelling the character from a simple plane so we use the mirror modifier to speed the process up.
We quickly get the form of the character and add his hands, form his ears, model some teeth and even model him a pair of simple shoes. We continue by creating some hair and forming eye brows.
When we are happy with how our character looks we move on and add an armature using an add-on within blender. We position the rig and generate control bones for use in animating our character. We briefly look at weight painting and how much influence some bones have over certain parts of the character.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for anybody looking to create a character suitable for animation.
- 00:17Short cut PDF for download
- 00:31Getting the free software Blender
- 02:08Enabling Add-ons & setting up the user Interface
- 02:58An introduction to navigation
- 05:01An introduction to collections
- 07:36Introduction to Snapping & origins
Thomas is a designer living in Ireland. He has a passion for 3D modelling and animation and using Blenders powerful software allows his imagination come to life like never before.
Over the past 12 years he’s worked on various 3D Modelling programs designing for production. Having discovered Blender a number of years ago and realized its amazing potential for creating, the future has no limits.