Create your First Computer Game with Stencyl
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course, you will be capable of creating your own 2D games
- You will learn to build logic in a visual interface, skills which are transferable to traditional programming if & when you choose to take that step
- You will learn to create your own sprites with Photoshop
- You will have acquired a skillset which, in the near future, will allow you to publish your creations to Windows Desktop, Windows 8, Mac OS, IOS & Android
- A computer, either Windows or Mac, which can run Stencyl. Almost any computer should be capable of this
- Enthusiasm about the subject
Note: This course is officially endorsed by Stencyl.
No prior experience is required to take this course. Learning from the ground up, you will acquire all the skills necessary to Design and Create your very own computer games, which can then be shared with your friends, or even published to commercial markets such as flash portals, the App Store & Google play. Using the unique logic block system of Stencyl thought in this Stencyl Course, you will be able to create a game of any genre, quickly and effectively. Please follow through the lectures sequentially, and always maximize the videos to get the most out of them. Among many other things, by the end of the course you will have learned how to:
- Create a top-down perspective for your game
- Move characters with the keyboard
- Easily rotate actors to look at the mouse cursor
- Spawn and destroy actors in real-time, at will
- Write simple and advanced AI for non-player characters
- Design levels using tile-sets and actors
- Create health bars
- Implement game rules to determine between success or failure
For the most effective learning experience, it is essential that you pay close attention to each lecture in order, and then complete the task yourself. If you struggle, watch the video again until you get the full sense of the lesson. Get excited, this is a learning experience you'll never forget. Prepare to start making your own games with Stencyl.
Who this course is for:
- Complete Beginners
- Hobbyists who wish to create their first production quality, cross-platform title in less time
- Indie Developers, Looking For a Faster Way To Build Multi-Platform Games
Richard Sneyd (1st Class B.A Hons.) is founder and CEO of CyberMyth Games, and administrator of CMG Academy, the no. 1 source of professional quality online training for digital art, development and design courses. In the performance of his duties within the company, he must wear many hats, including that of a programmer, designer, digital 2D & 3D artist, sound designer, scriptwriter, texture artist, leader, marketer and business man.
He is also a fully registered, qualified, and highly experienced lecturer. His speciality subjects include 3D Modelling & Animation, Computer Game Programming, 2D Image Processing, Game Design, Desktop Audio, Psychology, Consumer Behavior, Human Resources & Business Management.
Richard is enthusiastic about his work, with students and colleagues noting that he is a highly dedicated and accomplished teacher. All of his courses are characterized by a steady, incremental flow of information, and a lucid teaching style which is easy to understand and follow for all.