Create a sci fi landscape illustration using pen and ink
What you'll learn
- Learn a methodical approach to picture making, generating quick ideas as well as exploring options before commiting the time for a full sized rendering.
- Work with various different pens and learn the strengths of various types of inking methods
- Materials required are paper, pencils and pens. brush pens would be ideal but paintbrush and ink can also be used as an alternative..
- Some basic drawing knowledge is a plus but not essential as this working process can be applied to any style or subject.
In this course I will take students through the methods I employ to create a black and white illustration using traditional paper and ink media. Along with demonstrating step by step the working methods I use, I will also give my thoughts on some of the broader topics surrounding picture making and design. I will discuss what I think are the strengths of working through a project using traditional media and why I believe it is still the key foundation to visual creativity as well as the importance of keeping a regular sketchbook.
- In the first section I will discuss the materials used, including brush pens and fineliners, as well as the paper types used.
- In the second section we begin the process by making a series of quick thumbnail drawings to explore different ideas around a similar theme. After producing these thumbnails we will narrow to one concept and make a quick preliminary study to finalize the composition.
- In the third section I will begin by laying out the loose pencils, just getting the larger masses down and indicating the composition.
- Section four is where the first detail are applied and the pencils are refined to the point where they are ready for the inking process.
- Section five is the beginning of the inking process, starting with the area in the foreground of the illustration.
- In section 6 the inking process continues on the middle ground focal point of the composition and I will discuss using different pens for different line weights.
- Section 7 comprises the middle ground of the rendering and is broken down into sub chapters. Here I will use many different pens and markers to help sell the illusion of depth and detail.
- In section 8 I will add the finishing touches, using white gouache paint, as well as any other small refinements as well as summarizing my thoughts on the process.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in improving their working method, beginners to higher levels
- Comic book inkers
- Designers and illustrators
I am a largely self taught designer and illustrator working with both traditional and digital tools. I am passionate about preserving the place of traditional media in the creative process, although I also recognize the great flexibility and utility of digital tools as well. For me, the process always begins with drawing on paper as I feel this is the quickest way to brainstorm ideas and is also much more satisfying in a tactile sense.
I'm a graphic designer, illustrator and design teacher for more than 10 years. I create clever logos and cute illustrations, I like to inspire, share my knowledge and make people think and laugh!
I use Inkscape, an open source graphic design program in most of my design, and I was teaching this to my students too in a college in Budapest.
I am constantly sharing knowledge about design and life as a freelancer. I teach on Udemy since 2014 and work together with some of my friends now, to create better courses together by sharing my online teaching experience
Exploring new ways to create and sharing my knowledge is what I like the most - so don't be afraid to ask, I'm here to teach!.