Create a Life You Love in the Law
What you'll learn
- You will shift your perspective on what it means to create an authentic life as a lawyer.
- You will learn about the unlimited possibilities to make a difference in the world as a lawyer.
- You will hear about tools to align who you are and your values, with the career you wish to create.
- You will learn about how you've been programmed to see lawyers and the profession in limited ways.
- You will pick up some valuable information about burnout and self-care.
- You will hear about areas of legal practice you're unlikely to come across elsewhere.
- Your anxiety around your legal career will lessen as you shift your perspective on how a career unfolds.
- To find this course useful and relevant, you should be studying law or be more or less in the first 5 years of your legal career.
Law is a flipping stressful career. It starts at university/ college where you're encouraged to completely cut off large parts of who you are. You will feel like you're the only one not coping very well, and you'll learn to wear a professional mask that says you're just fine. Above all you will led to believe that only your intellect matters - who you actually are as a person is indicated by all the powers that be as being kind of irrelevant. Also, regardless of your path, it's likely you find yourself in organisations that place huge importance on hierarchy, so even if your ideas are brilliant, where you are in the pecking order will be given precedence. But here's the thing: there is another way to practise law. A way that aligns with who YOU are and who you came here to be.
There are 1000's of lawyers all over the world practising law in alignment with their values, transforming people's lives and involved in their own journeys of personal development. Many self-identify as part of the Integrative Law Movement but just as many don't know such a movement exists. These lawyers have found this path the hard way: through blood, sweat and tears, nervous breakdowns and failed marriages, they had to come to the point of saying ENOUGH and finding a new way to practise. You don't have to walk the same path. You can choose differently now. But it will mean swimming against the tide and that's tough. But not as tough as getting to say, 40 years old and realising you just can't practise like this anymore. The rewards may be good (if you're lucky) but the cost is way, way too high.
So take this course. There may be parts that challenge you. You may have to be patient and open your mind a bit. But you will be shown a different way to practise and think about law. And there are examples of lawyers practising differently to inspire you. And when you finish it, if you'd like you can reach out to me via Awakening Lawyers and I can support you in creating a beautiful life in the law, and I can see who else might be a useful mentor to you, depending on your circumstances.
This course is for you if you
· Are really anxious about your path
· Feel jaded about the whole profession in general
· Are finding law school or your early legal employment stressful even overwhelming
· Wonder whether you are suited to the profession after all
· feel like you’re different to other lawyers
· want to know if you can still be you, yet be a lawyer
· want to know if it’s possible to be a happy lawyer
· feel like you want to make a difference in the legal system but you are not sure how
Who this course is for:
- Law students and young lawyers
I show people new ways of viewing the legal system and I show lawyers new ways to view their role within the system. I call the lawyers I work with Awakening Lawyers because they are awakening to a new consciousness emerging in the law. These lawyers see the dysfunction and toxicity in the legal system and instead of quitting law or numbing out they are shifting s to being peacemakers, justice warriors and as activists for social change.
I've worked as an attorney, a law lecturer, a director of a non-profit college for impoverished students, a facilitator of corporate leadership programs, an organizational development consultant and an entrepreneur running events for lawyers.
I also suffered from anxiety at law school and my early legal career. I ran screaming from the law after I qualified! have been there. I found my way and have been using everything I suffered through to help students and young lawyers create lives they love in the law for the last 8 years.
I’ve had over 500 lawyers attend my conferences. I’ve run mentorship programmes. I’ve done talks at universities.
The main feedback I get is “wow, I had NO idea all those options were even OUT THERE! Thank you for opening my eyes.”
I LOVE showing law students and lawyers an entirely new and exciting vision for their lives.