Build a Polished Space Shooter Game in GameMaker Studio 2
What you'll learn
- Learn basic programming skills applicable to all programming languages
- Learn how to develop a game from start to finish in Gamemaker Studio 2
- Learn how to insert juice into your game with visual effects, explosions, screenshake, slow motion, and more
- Tackle advanced topics like inheritance, boids, and scaling to any resolution
- Learn smooth physics based movement
- Create dazzling effects using particles
- Create scripts that can be saved for other projects
- Build a scalable code base to make future development easier
- No programming experience required, however some of the topics are advanced, and may need to be visited later
This course takes you through a whirlwind of code and concepts while creating a bullet hell game. If you are a beginner, we start at zero, explaining every idea in detail. As the course progresses we quickly build up speed, covering advanced topics seldom touched upon in other tutorials. But don't let that stop you, each section has the source code uploaded at the end if you get stuck.
So join this course, learn to create beautiful visual effects, multiple enemy types, scalable design, and more. At the end of this series, you will have a complete game you can be proud of, and show off to your friends.
Finishing a game is a huge achievement, and few make it that far. This course can help you pass that milestone if its your first time, or teach you new tricks if you're a veteran.
While making this game you will learn many programming concepts ranging from beginner to advanced.
Beginner Concepts Covered:
The step, create, and draw events
How to import resources
Variables and commenting
Getting player input
Restricting objects to a certain area
Arrays and loops
Loading data from a file
Playing Music and sound effects
Advanced Concepts Covered:
Physics based movement
How to scale your game to any aspect ratio
Raycasting for bullets
Who Should Take the Course:
Beginner and intermediate game developers
Who this course is for:
- Beginner and intermediate game developers looking for tips creating dynamic, juicy games
I am a software developer experienced in game development, python, and blockchain. My journey into software development started with Gamemaker, building small games and prototypes. Slowly this evolved to more complex projects, like fractal generators and orbital mechanics simulators. I hope that through my courses I can spark the same curiosity and joy I have experienced.