Create a complete 2D Platformer game with Godot engine 3
What you'll learn
- 2D platformer mechanics - double jumping, breaking plaftorm, sword, looting, collectables, and enemies
- UI - Title Screen, Cutscenes, Zelda-like heart system, and other elements
- More Mechanics: Adding switches and door, morphing ball, boss fight, hidden area
- All the fundamentals of game development in GDScript
- Having a computer (mac, pc or linux)
- Basic programming knowledge is a plus, but I'll explain you on the go how things work so you mainly need just motivation!
** Please note this course has been made in Godot Engine 3, it is not fully compatible with Godot Engine 4. But as Godot engine 3.5 is the LTS version of Godot, it is still relevant if you are using a version of Godot 3. If you want to learn Godot Engine 4 I have made a course name "Learn Godot 4 by making two games". **
In this course you'll learn the basics of programming a complete 2D Platformer / Metroidvania game similar to Hollow Knight, Celeste, Metroid Dread, with lots of different mechanic like double jumping, using a sword to kill enemy and break various elements, breaking platform, final boss and way much more.
I will cover in this course everything you need to know about creating a 2D platformer / Metroidvania in the Godot Engine. This course covers all important (and often neglected) aspects of creating a platformer game in Godot including:
Game mechanics like player movement, collectibles, and basic combat with a Boss Fight
Creating a health system inspired by Zelda with a system of heart
Hazards like spikes and enemies
Adding mechanic like a sword to slash the enemy or break crates and looting coins
Scene structure and project organization
Sound effects & music
This list is not exhaustive - please see the course outline for a glimpse into what you're about to learn soon.
I have made that course for beginner looking to understand the key concept of programming as well as for programmer coming from different engine (like Unity or GameMaker) that want to create a lots of different key mechanic of a game that are rarely covered in Godot.
What you’ll learn
2D platformer mechanics - double jumping, collectables, enemies, sword, boss fight,
Sounds effects, looting system, moving platform, doors and switches to change levels
Godot Engine Concepts - leveraging a variety of nodes, structuring scenes, signals, and more
Are there any course requirements or prerequisites?
Some programming knowledge are a plus, but you can start from scratch, GDscript (the langage used in Godot) is one of the easiest language for game development
Who this course is for:
Intermediate game developers
Beginner game developers with programming experience
Individuals who are looking to push their project over the edge by adding lots of fun game mechanics
Who this course is for:
- Complete beginner in game development that want to learn how to code
- Intermediate level programmer that already have used an engine before but never used Godot Engine
- Beginner with Godot Engine that want to reach an intermediate level
- Any person motivated to learn how to make game
It's been more than 5 years that I'm programming video game for all type of platform using either game engine like Unity or Godot Engine, or creating my own game engine with Python or C++ and SDL2.
Interested by teaching game development the way I would have been taught, I want my course to help you understand the core concept of game programming in the clearest, simplest and most efficient way possible. Thank you for considering buying the course! :)