Country Risk in the Age of Global Turbulences
What you'll learn
- Students will be able to assess and better predict country risk volatility and be aware of the wide range of country risk information sources
- No prior academic knowledge or operational experience
- Motivation, tenacity, and a willingness to learn and play the game are essential
- A clear idea of the post WWII international economic system and its institutional framework (World Bank, IMF, UN system, WTO, OECD…) will help
Investing, lending, trading currencies or commodities, importing and exporting goods and services, all these transactions are risky!
Risk stems from a situation of uncertainty regarding current or future situations, where information about the situation’s outcome is insufficient, lacking or simply wrong. Uncertainty itself derives from a deficit of information, hence randomness of results. Information availability is in itself a crucial measure of Country Risk. How can one trust a country where balance of payments and debt data are, at best, obsolete or even missing?!
The course aims at assessing the challenges of country risk assessment within the turbulent environment of Globalization. The global market economy has become an echo chamber of volatility, hence adding the risk of spillover!
Throughout this MOOC, we shall tackle not only financial and economic risks, but also social and institutional upheaval, country rating and ranking, competitiveness, as well as geopolitical turmoil and sustainable development prospects.
Who this course is for:
- Students with an interest in global risk issues and managers who tackle country risk and volatility
Distinguished Global Finance Professor - SKEMA Business School
Dr. Bouchet is the instructor and designer of the MOOC. He is country risk specialist and financial adviser. He has been Chief Strategist of North Sea-Global Equity Management and has held high-level positions in international banking (BNP, IIF, World Bank, ING, and CEO of Owen Stanley Financial S.A). He graduated in Economics from Paris-X and from IEP-Paris, HDR from Paris-Dauphine, with Master and Ph.D. from USC, Columbia, USA.
Doctor in Education Sciences, she is accompanying teachers in Mooc design. Mélanie is responsible for innovative learning projects at SKEMA Business School. She is co-directing two disruptive programmes on innovation and entrepreneurship since 2016: Programme ID at SKEMA BS and INVENT at University Cote d'Azur. She is also a researcher at LINE lab from UCA.