UK Tax Returns with HMRC
What you'll learn
- Submit a UK Corporation Tax return with HMRC
- Understand the Corporation tax return filing process
- Submit a self assessment tax return and understand the process
- It would be helpful if you understood accounting terminology - such as fixed asset, current asset, balance sheet, liability, prepayment, accrual
- If you are a company Director and are hoping this course will help you to file your own CT return - it will, but you will need to have prepared your PnL and BS beforehand (and we don't cover HOW to prepare those documents in this course
This course is for bookkeepers, accountants and UK limited Company Directors who want to file simple UK limited company corporation tax returns and their self assessment and want an example of how it is done. You can pay your accountant several hundred pounds to do this for you, or you can learn how to do it for yourself. Note: this is not an 'accounting' course, and although we don't get technical and into accounting, if you are familiar with standard accounting terminology - this will help.
On this course we file a corporation tax return for a UK limited company and a simple UK Self Assessment. This course is suitable for a UK audience, and those with an interest in UK tax filing. NOT USA.
The terminology you should be familiar with is to do with items that could be found on the PnL (profit and loss account) such as sales, gross profit, expenses, net profit. And items that could be found on the BS (balance sheet) such as fixed asset, current asset, current liability, loan, reserves, capital.
An example pnl and bs is included and this is what we use as a basis to complete the accounts.
The course will take approx 1-2 hours to complete. It is structured around the filing in of the online Corporation Tax form and filing a self assessment tax return form.
The course will help you to understand the process of completing a tax return. And it will help you to fill in your own corporation tax return if you have a UK limited company. And it will help you to fill in your own self assessment if you are a sole trader or a director of a limited company.
Who this course is for:
- Individuals / Directors who want to submit their own corporation tax returns and self assessment tax returns
- Students, bookkeepers, accountants (trainees) who want to understand the Corporation tax filing process
- Note - no previous knowledge of accounting is presumed, but it will help
Lisa Newton BA MSc AAT has a masters degree in Investment Management and a first class honours degree in Accounting with Marketing. She formed her first company in 2004 with £150 in the same month of graduating from City University, London UK. Lisa has never had a full time 9 to 5 job in her life. She's a serial entrepreneur and author who holds directorships in various industries including telecoms, property management, publishing, hair & beauty as well as finance. She has won various awards in Business including: Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2007, in 2008 Enterprising Business Award, in 2016 BE Mogul Award and has been nominated and shortlisted in numerous others. In 2011 and in 2012 one of her companies won Best Accounting Franchisor Award. In 2015 and 2017 one of her companies won Best Bookkeeping Business London (Accountancy International Awards).
Lisa's books include: How to write a book in two weeks, Constant Cashflow, Make the most of your money, How to start your own bookkeeping business, Cosmic ordering with Vision Boards, How to Franchise Your Business and Quickbooks Online The Handbook. Some of the books are in audio-format on itunes and audible.
Lisa hosts her own show The Authors Podcast which can be found on the iTunes channel.
Lisa supports the charity The MS Society. A speaker, coach, consultant and an avid networker, Lisa enjoys meeting people and working on projects with like-minded individuals.
In her spare time, Lisa likes traveling, dancing salsa, writing books, learning languages, meditation, yoga and cosmic ordering.