Corporate Insurance Fraud Prevention
What you'll learn
- Explore how the fraud perpetrator’s use of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing to defeat insurer’s claim of attempted insurance fraud.
- Recognize the elements insurance fraud and the proof needed to assert fraud as a defense.
- Identify what investigation will be performed to stop fraud.
- Explore how the statutory requirement to thoroughly investigate potential fraud makes successful fraud difficult.
- No Advanced Preparation or Prerequisites are not needed for this course.
This course explains how insurers, insurance adjusters, and insurance special investigation unit investigators work to prevent insurance fraud (obtaining funds from an insurer wrongfully and illicitly). It explains staged losses, fake thefts, paper property, arson for profit, false documentation, and other efforts to defraud an insurer. The course also explains what is necessary to prove fraud as a defense to an insurance claim.
The course covers the following:
- The use of investigators to gather evidence establishing that a fraud is being attempted.
- The various types of fraud attempted against first party property policies.
- Understanding the staged accident.
- Understanding the use of paper property.
- How to discover an arson for profit.
- How to prove that an insured is involved in an arson for profit.
- How to discover health insurance fraud.
- How to recognize professional conspiracies.
- How to recognize fraud in the legal profession.
- How to act in good faith and fair dealing with regard to insurance fraud.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone inter
Illumeo, incorporated in 2009, is revolutionizing the hide-bound world of corporate learning. Illumeo works with corporate professionals and organizations of all sizes to build the skills and capabilities that help everyone be an expert at their job.
Based in Silicon Valley, CA, Illumeo serves thousands of corporations and corporate professionals across Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Sales and Marketing. The platform offers assessments, industry-benchmarked competency analyses, hundreds of expert-developed courses, collaborative tools, and the ability for companies to self-publish internal courses that promote institutional knowledge retention and dissemination.
Illumeo is the place for expertise management and we are dedicated to the proposition that everyone can be an expert at their job.
Barry Zalma, Esq., CFE, has practiced law in California for more than 42 years as an insurance coverage and claims handling lawyer. He now limits his practice to service as an insurance consultant and expert witness specializing in insurance coverage, insurance claims handling, insurance bad faith and insurance fraud almost equally for insurers and policyholders. He also serves as an arbitrator or mediator for insurance related dispute
He founded Zalma Insurance Consultants in 2001 and serves as its only consultant.
Consultant/Expert Witness : Zalma Insurance Consultants - [2009-07 to Current]
Consult with policy holders and insurers about claims handling and bad faith issues.
Attorney : Barry Zalma, Inc. - [1979-10 to Current]
Represent clients involved in litigation dealing with insurance, insurance coverage and insurance claims handling and insurance bad faith.
Senior Claims Representative : Fireman's Fund American Insurance Compan - [1967-09 to 1972-02]
Investigate and adjust claims presented to the Fireman's Fund insurance company by its insureds or by claimants seeking damages from the persons insured.
Special Agent, Intelligence : US Army Intelligence School - [1964-01 to 1964-12]
Became a US Army Intelligence Special Agent and Special Agent, US Army Intelligence Corps, Peoria, Illinois, residence office.
JD, Law : The University of West Los Angeles - [1967 to 1971]
AB, Philosophy : Claremont Men's College (Now Claremont McKenna College) - [1960 to 1963]